Mission Impossible has begun!! 2nd long cook with lump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
I have started my SECOND long cook experiment with lump. This one may prove to be my nemesis.

Here are the facts:

a) 14.84 lb brisket from Sam's on at 7:00 am Sat

b) temps in high 50's and very breezy

c) "Original Charcoal Company" lump- full ring.

d) using water in Brinkmann water pan

My first attempt:First long cook with lump completed.......: went very well. It was a small pork butt in perfect weather conditions.

This cook should really answer the questions I have about lump coal!

I'll post results of burn.

Jim

Waiting!!
icon_smile.gif

Jim, i'm 12 hrs into the chuck roll cook with R O Lump. I have about 1/3 of a full ring left probally a lttle more than that. Posted a coupon for you on the first post about long cook using lump. The Guru is working fine. Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Jim, i'm 12 hrs into the chuck roll cook with R O Lump. I have about 1/3 of a full ring left probally a lttle more than that. Posted a coupon for you on the first post about long cook using lump. The Guru is working fine. Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did see the coupon. Thanks Bryan.

Jim

Jim, just ordered 40 lbs. of B&B Oak Lump from wickedgood. They are out of the Wickedgood Competition Blend Lump.
icon_frown.gif
Lee from Wickedgood is going to e-mail me when it comes in. Bryan

Jim...you are using what is considered one of the best lumps....it is made from Quebracho Blanco wood from south america.....It has a very good "burn time"....

Did you experience any "popping"?

No noticeable "popping" problems so far.

I bought some RealFlavor lump from WalMart and used it once. It seemed to pop quite a bit. It is supposedly Royal Oak in a different bag! I'm not sure about that myself. I use Royal Oak and haven't had as much popping as with the RealFlavor.

You can get a bad bag in any of it I suppose.

Jim

Jim, according to the naked whiz web site the Wal Mart lump (real flavor) is made by R O. It's made from lumber mill scraps and that's the difference between the 2. Hence the popping in the real flavor lump. Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back