Minion Starter Basket

I have not. Someone linked recently to the s/s replacement charcoal chamber made by this company and I saw this basket on their page. First impression: Seems like a solution looking for a problem. It's a perforated variation of the bottomless coffee can approach, and I never found that approach all that compelling. But as we know, people love to tinker.

Of course, now that I think about it, metal coffee cans are getting harder to find, so... :)

I made a minion basket out of basic carbon steel expanded sheet for the horizontal offset smoker I used to have. Load it up, dump lit coals on top and let it burn slowly down. It did seem to work better than the simple firebox alone.

I am a bottomless coffee can aficionado. :)
Just put the can in the center. Pour charcoal and smoke wood around the can. Pour lit coals in the can
and pull the can out with a pair of pliers. Been doing it that way for quite a while.
As Chris said. The starter basket looks like the same principal.
Coffee cans are still easy to come by here in the midwest;)

This came with my Arborfab charcoal basket. Worked great. Just as good as the bottomless coffee can, but no need to pull the can out of the hot coals.

Back