Minion Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incomplete combustion is what causes the taste Tom is detecting, db would be correct if you cook at to low a pit temp you can create this condition.
What we don't know is what charcoal, pit settings,
weather conditions, or wood was used. All of these are factors in this question.
Jim

Jim, I'm confused...isn't the wood smoke we apply to our meat from smouldering wood a product of incomplete combustion? I think flame from the wood occurs when temp is high enough to ignite the gasses being released. Are you speaking of incomplete combustion in the coals? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Further, wouldn't it depend more on the burn rate of the coals and available oxygen rather than the lid temp? Perhaps you can have a temp of 150F from only 6 hotly burning coals and no incomplete combustion, or an entire ring of partially lit coals could create a temp of 300F but have incomplete combustion happening. Could you clarify what incomplete combustion is and how to avoid it?

I don't have these problems with the gasser, but then, it doesn't make pulled pork either /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Shawn
My point is we don't know what the real conditions
were with that cook.
If you truely have wood smoldering then you will have an off flavor. The fact that under a controled condition that you don't have flame doesn't mean that you have incomplete combustion.
Using exhaust vents to control heat is one of the fastest ways to have the condition.
Lid temps will give you a good idea what is happening in the cooker. To have pit temps under 200º you have to do it by fire size or by taking away the air supply. If the fire is already going well then to achieve these low temps you must start putting the fire out, incomplete combustion will be the results.

I have found that as long as you have a flame under Kingsford you will notice the smell but if there is no flame the odor is not present. The only thing I can tell you is that in a blind judging those folks do not detect the flavor discussed here. This is against food that is cooked on all style of cookers.
Jim

Hey Guys, thanks for all the replys. It seem's that this is an issue that is of interest to many. I use nothing but Hickory chunks, and Pecan chunks for my smoke wood. I agree that when you shut down of the air intake that this will cause slower combustion rates. It's only natural that when you start cooking with charcoal that is not fully lit that the off flavor fumes from the charcoal will be in the cooker with the meat and thus impart some of those flavors in the meat. Maybe I need to add more smoke wood to hide the charcoal flavor. I am a retired Firefighter and I understand the principals of combustion fairly well and I guess that I will have to find a happy medium with the amount of air that I let in to the bottom vents. I also agree that the top vent should be open always. Hey you guys are the experts and I am trying to learn how to use my cooker. I am a KCBS BBQ judge and I have tasted a fair amount of good BBQ and I am trying to get somewhere near that Ha,Ha.
Thanks for all the info. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tom
Why not try a chicken cook and not use any wood for smoke and see if you find the flavor. I'm willing to bet that the hickory and pecan have more to do with this condition than the charcoal.
I find that most folks new to these cookers are adding too much wood.
Jim

Had a problem last weekend with an old bag of Kingsford. Smelled acrid. Sharp. Like chemicals. It bummed me out and had me worrying, but the brisket turned out ok.

The old bag was a year or so old. First time it has ever happened. Temp was around 250 at the lid. Was smoking with mesquite.

Will pay attention to next time with newer charcoal.

It looked like chunks w/o any bark. Maybe a few scraps of bark. Not much. It was wierd though and I was contemplating scrapping the smoker for the oven and some foil. I don't think I'll be smoking this weekend, too much in leftovers still. Next time I do, I'll be paying close attention to the odors.

Also guys I was watching this show about taste buds, and they said that about 1 in 4 people are *super tasters* They have something like 4 times as many tastebuds as others. Just a thought...

Big Al

i used to have the same results that tom did when he started this topic. i also listened to fellas say how they used kingsford and had no problems. i kept trying it and kept having troubles. i had had a crummy little brinkman gas smoker and never had the problem... just the problem of a junky smoker that kept rusting away. my Q always had a bad undertaste like lighting kingsford. i learned that if you smoked at higher temps and always kept the top vent open it was better.

but i fugured out a way to fix it and have never had the problem since. i just don't use kingsford
icon_wink.gif
i was to the point where i was about ready to just give up on charcoal cookin and was gonna buy a gas grill. but i switched to lump and have never had the problem again. i use royal oak and the minion method and it works just great. i've tried using no smokewood or lots of smokewood after i switched and although i get different results, i like them all.

for the life of me i can't understand why kingsford works for some folks and didn't work for me at ALL. for those it works for thats great. as for me... i got tired of making Q that nobody wanted to eat and changed to lump and lost all the problems of charcoal taste.

for what it's worth, i talked to the owner of humphreys brand charcoal and he told me that they made brickettes because thats what some folks want and they try to make it as best they can. but he also said he thought the lump was so much better product and if people would try it they wouldn't go back.

jim minions method works great with lump. i've never had to add lump because it burnt too quick, but i admit that i fill it up with charcoal and just realize that if it all doesn't burn... i'll use it next time.

i have another question about kingsford. i would imagine they have more than one plant makin it. could it be that some of it, depending on where it's made has more of the problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by les:
I would imagine they have more than one plant makin it. Could it be that some of it, depending on where it's made has more of the problem? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since Kingsford basically recycles scrape wood, bark, and sawdust from sawmills, they use whatever source materials are available in the region.

For example, according to a show I saw on Food Network, the Kingsford plant in Springfield, Oregon burns alder and fir into char.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back