Minion Method using Lump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Provance

TVWBB Super Fan
I have never used lump before. What adjustments, if any, are needed using the Minion Method with lump as opposed to Kingsford? For example; Should I use less lit pieces of lump when stsrting out? I typically use 20-25 pieces of lit Kingsford starting out depending on the weather conditions. Will this cause me (20-25 lit lump) to have a hotter burn that i will have to fight to keep down during the smoke?

Mike...

I have used lump several times using the MM. As far as how much, very hard to say, as weather is such a huge factor....wind, water, temp, etc. I would start out using the same amount and working from there. I use about 1/2 chimney...BUTTTT, my chimney is a cheapie and much smaller than the Weber chimney.

The biggest adjustment is the use of your vents. Mine needed much less air, so they were almost closed for the entire cook. I was able to keep the temps around 225? with ease.

You can use lump to great effect using Jim's method, so light it up, baby!

I used lump last weekend with a 8.5 lb butt using MM...worked great. However due to the weather (8 deg initially then up to 20) I did have to add charcoal at the 8 hr mark. At first, I just filled my weber chimney to the top..then put charcoals in a circle around it . I went thru prob 1/2 bag of Royal oak lump. Kept a steady temp around 250...in fact after 16-17 hrs the center of butt was 190..so I pulled it...was fantastic using mr. Brown method.

I used 7lbs of lump today for a 10lb turkey but I noticed it depends on the size of the chunks. Overall no problem but it did burn hot as the 15 degree weather outside was ofset by 15mph wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back