Minion Method Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt A

TVWBB Member
I'm having a problem running out of fuel 6-8 hrs in using the Minion Method. Is is possible I'm getting the coals burning to fast even though the temps are fine? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Matt

Review Cris' directions on firing up with MM. It would not make sense to run out of fuel at 6-8 hrs if you're following those directions. One problem which I believe I encountered in using fuel too fast was starting with too many lit coals. Normally I think 20 is about right. If you approximate by just looking, you'll be surprised at the number of coals you may have. Of course, you do need to start with the right amount of unlit coals. I'm a little miserly, but the problem I find when I don't start with enough is that it's difficult to get the temp up, not that it burns too fast. If the temp is holding around 250 and you're starting with sufficent coals, it doesn't make sense that you would be running out of fuel.

Strange things do happen from time to time, but if you stay with it I'm sure it will work out.

Good luck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PRG

Matt,

Full chamber of unlit coals. 20 fully lit coals in the charcoal chimney, dump and spread evenly on top of unlit coals. Keep vents approx 50% open, when temps 220 start closing down vents until you stabilize at your target temp (mine is always 250 at the lid) I have had cooks that have gone for 14 hours without refueling.

Matt,
I had abandoned the Minion method for most of this year's cookoffs, but decided to return to it when I found that temp control was too challenging.

Earlier this week, I had the urge to cook some ribs, so, while I did not completely fill the ring with charcoal, it was about 2/3 full. I lit exactly 15 coals and made sure they were fully engaged before spreading them over the unlit coals. I added 3 chunks of hickory, right on top of lit coals. That was at 7:15pm. I ran the temp at 220-240, with just one vent about halfway open. I took off the ribs at 12:30, and the next morning, at 8:30, the smoker was still going strong at 219 degrees.

Without trying, that was 13 hours. I used Royal Oak charcoal (not lump), weather was calm and mid 60's.

I asked my wife to check the temp at noon, it was still reading 202 degrees, and if I had opened other vents, I probably could have been in operating range for 16 hours.

It does work, probably longer with lower temps, but it does work.

Dale

Thanks everyone. I'm sure it works. It must be because I'm not following the directions exactly. This last time I didn't count the number of coals I lit, I had the vents wide open until it got up to temp, then I put the food on. Guess I'm gettin' sloppy. I am using Kingsford though. I guess I have to cook something again soon to make sure I get it right. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've always found that when using the Minion Method the temp change reaction is slower than when using a batch of fully lit coals. And always keep in mind that it's easier to bring the temps up than down. When you see the WSM nearing your target temp start closing down your vents and slowly heat up to where you want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back