Minion method on shorter cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Sabino

TVWBB Member
I have noticed something in my last few cooks. Yesterday for example I did two racks of baby backs using the minion method with lump charcoal. I placed about 10 pieces of lump on a ring of unlit charcoal and within a half hour got the temp up to 250 at the lid. However, after about an hour and a half, the temp started to rise to about 260 even with the bottom vents closed. Even adding a couple of quarts of cold water didn't really help. In looking at the tips section, I see that Chris doesn't use the minion on short cooks. What do people do on short cooks with not alot of meat?

Gary, Sounds like you have an air leak. With all the bottom vents closed, you should be able to drop the temp within 15-20 minutes. Check your base-to-midsection seal and your seal around the access panel. There should be no smoke coming from either location. Check the mid-section seal by tipping the midsection. It shouldn't rock. If it does, then twist the midsection on the base until it doesn't. Cliff.

I do spares which usually take 6-7 hours or so. I use a full ring of lit and run at about 250 lid. I wouldn't worry about 260--did it climb higher?--but it's strange that it didn't drop with all your vents closed. Check for leaks.

I do MM on everything but poultry, usually. I'm with the others - sounds like you had an air leak somewhere.

Well, I think I have a leak, too. One of the botom vents doesn't close all the way for some reason. It appears to be just out of alignment. Has anybody seen this before. Should I just call Weber (the WSM is only a few months old)? Will I need special tools to fix it?

Well, I just called Weber and they kind of acted like I said the Smoker was painted pink. The guy had never heard of a problem like this (one of the three holes on the bowl not being completly closed) and asked me to measure everything to determine what was out of alignment. I told them I would. Has anybody else experienced problems with these dampers?

Gary, actually I have a problem with one of my dampers right now. It sticks when fully closed and seems kind of loose when fully open.

The other two seem perfect. Just enough resistance to keep them where I put them.

But... when I close everthing up, the charcaol goes out in a matter of minutes.

Part of the problem with the one seems to be that one of the little "tabs" that keeps it from rotating too far is bent. It is at more of a 45* angle, than a 90* angle. I'm going to try and bend that to 90*. If that doesn't work, I'll call Weber.

Wierd, I used minion method for ribs and the same thing happened. I know my WSM is air tight. I had to clost the top vent down to 1/2 for an hour to snuff the coals a bit. Even though it was kinda tuff to fight the fire it was nice and easy to raise the temps toward the end of the BRITU cook.

Too much fuel?
icon_confused.gif

As in, too much fuel for the amount of meat?.?.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Finney:
Too much fuel?
icon_confused.gif

As in, too much fuel for the amount of meat?.?.
icon_confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, likely.

I was wondering if it was too much fuel. For example, tonight I want to do a chicken at 350 or so in the smoker. I figure a chimney and a half with no water in the pan should do it. Does that sound right?

Yes.
I use 1.5-2 depending on how big my bird is, whether or not I'm butterflying, and whether I'm using briquettes or lump.

Yes..
(I'm assuming favorable weather. Use more if windy or cold. Be ready to add more during the cook if warranted.)

Thanks...I am doing a recipe from Raichlens How to Grill with Garlic Roasted Butter under the skin. First time trying it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Sabino:
Thanks...I am doing a recipe from Raichlens How to Grill with Garlic Roasted Butter under the skin. First time trying it out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds great!

(You could stick me in a vat of roasted garlic and I'd be happy as a pig in...)
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
If you have this type of a question Chris has the answer:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/partstrouble.html#chamber
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

I live in Federal Way and I started using a WSM about a year ago. I am interested in getting better at this. What organizations should I consider joining? Are there any events or classes coming up soon? Thanks

Robert,

Welcome aboard! You're gonna love it here. Not sure when Jim will be back on..Check out this this site in your area. I believe Jim's part of it.

Again, welcome
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back