minion method - health risks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike W.

TVWBB Member
Hi!

While reading the article on starting the smoker using the minion method, the author made it sound like putting unlit charcoals could cause a health risk. Is this true? Why? The only thing I could think of is that maybe unlit charcoal has some sort of additive so that it lights and that could be a health issue.

If this is the case, how much of a risk is it? I'm guessing minimal because I throw unlit coals on the grill all the time, and I'm still living. :-D

Thanks!

If you read that thread through to the end, Chris A provided a really good post with official info from Kingsford. It does not seem like a concern but the issue is debateable. You'll have to make up your own mind. People aren't dying from it and there is no proof it is harmful. Further, it might be impossible to PROVE it is not harmful.

I'll donate my body to science when i die to see how BIG MY SMOKE RING is
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Nice and succinct Shawn.

Mike: Take time to browse the numerous threads on this. Do a FIND on 'unlit' and you should see more than you ever wanted to know about it. Unfortunately, IMHO, none of us members have conducted or caused National funding to be forthcoming to research the side-effects of using unlit charcoal.

Me, on one hand, have just put up cigarettes after 30+ years and see Q'n as healthy smokin.

I GUARANTEE, if one consumes enough smoked Q (you know something like 6X the normal daily requirements, for an extended period of years) there will be side-effects (my sides are wider already). Then the government will step in, conduct umteen million dollars worth of research and the Surgeon General will declare that "Q'n with OR without lit OR unlit charcoal (briquettes) MAY BE HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'll donate my body to science when i die to see how _BIG MY SMOKE RING_ is
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whooo Boy!!
icon_razz.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

From the article that was posted it seems the sodium nitrates are the problem. Those same ingredients are found in all cured meats, it is also the agent that helps produce smokering in in BBQ'd meat.
We all make choices in the amount of different foods we put into our bodies. I have choosen to cut back on carbs to lose weight, others cut down on fats or salt intake. These are choices you need to make yourself.
Briquettes are the same mixture throughout, we do not recomend that use Matchlite Kingsford and Kingsford recommended the same. We do not recommend that you use lighter fluids, Kingsford made the same statment.

If you eat BBQ everyday you may decide to use lump charcoal, but that is no assurance that you are not recieving some agent that you may have doubts about. The wood you use for smoke does emit a large number of chemicals, you have to decide how much and what the right exposure for your family is.

You eat meat that has drugs and hormones added to get their weight up at a quicker than natural rate, again you must choose what is right for your family.

I enjoy food and cooking, BBQ is one of the styles of cooking I do but I also enjoy variety so BBQ is only a portion of my diet.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'll donate my body to science when i die to see how _BIG MY SMOKE RING_ is
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
Excellent idea!
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Here's my 2 cents. All Statements are JMO
If you eat Q 3 times a day 7 days a week 365 days a year yeah it probally will kill you. Just like fried food would if you ate that much of it. But once or twice a week i don't think it posses that much of a problem. Too much of a good thing is bad. I use the Minion Method and will continue to do so no matter what is said about it. I think that the wood is probally worse than using unlit charcoal. This is a retorical question that will be still being debated long after i'm gone.
icon_biggrin.gif
I hope that when i'm gone i can't here this debate any more
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi Mike:
Welcome to TVWBB. This is just my opinion also. When reading the information on this site on "starting up the WSM" you will find that "Weber's" method calls for adding coals every hour or so. That method does not say whether the coals are lit or unlit. However, judging from what I have seen the coals may very well be unlit similar to what others such as Steve Raichlen does when smoking on the Weber Kettle. It appears that for most of us this method defeats one of the purposes of not having to babysit or add coals frequently. Both the standard and MM uses unlit coals. As stated earlier, you have to decide, and if if concerns you to that extent then try using lit coals. You will find as I did in my first cook that the temperature of the WSM rises very rapidly and is very difficult to control. There is not many choices. Many happy and successful queings to you.

I use both methods according to what it is I'm cooking-- like tools. To clarify, though, the standard method calls for all charocal to be lit-- you add a lit chimney-full to the charcoal ring, then add another of unlit on top, but you wait for it to ignite and ash over before assembling the cooker.

Well, thank you for all your postings! I never realized that this could have gotten into a religious debate!

I remember reading a posting awhile ago about the kingsford people saying what was in the charcoal. I've learned that they just put that it might cause a health risk, but the chances are probably so slim that nothing will happen.

As far as eating bbq once or twice a week? Man, I love it...how can you not eat it at least once or twice a week! :-D

As you can see, I'm still a newbie on this board. I try to read the forums, but I'm just starting to get into it. So, sorry about the posting!

Final question... Burbank Tony, where do you get your lump charcoal and what kind do you get? I sometimes get the royal oak, but it's sort of costly and I think it goes faster than the kingsford. Reason why I'm asking is because I live in mt. greenwood and burbank is probably about 10-20 minutes from me. Have you also been able to find any sort of wood like apple or oak? I guess we can continue this conversation in email so I don't flood the board.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!!

Mike

I was concerned about unlit charcoal. Then I read about the Minion method. The question I have was brought up before (I think in the write-up Jim did). I don't believe there is an answer for it, but since it makes sence to me, I go with the Minion method. The question is - What is the difference between the unlit charcoal in the middle of the briquette (when it's completely ashed over) and the unlit charcoal on the outside of a briquette (which gets lighted by being next to a burning charcoal). Since I don't see any difference, I chose not to worry about it and use the Minion method becasue it works well for temp control.

Not sure about any scientific answers to this, but I'll use the MM and Kingsford for the next coupla decades and get back to ya on it, howboutit?
icon_biggrin.gif

Jeez Jerry that's a great thought. There's no difference between the unlit (middle) portion of an ashed over bricket and an unlit bricket sitting beside it awaiting it's turn. My mind is now at ease about unlit brickets. I'll continue to "Minion" away.
icon_smile.gif
Cliff.

The arguments for and against here are interesting and amusing. Seems like everyone is trying to convince themselves they are doing the right thing. I think that's what you need to do in light of no strong evidence one way or the other.

There certainly could be a difference between the center of a briquet and the outside of the one next to it. The byproducts of combustion may change depending on the temperature, which ought to vary between an unlit and a fully lit coal.

The idea that lump (from wood only) is okay is similarly fallacious. Based on that reasoning, cigarettes, which come from a plant, ought to be good for us instead of causing lung cancer.

I use the minion method, and I'm okay with it. Everyone else should make their own decision.

P.S. - at least we're not grilling, which forms carcinogens on the food...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The arguments for and against here are interesting and amusing. Seems like everyone is trying to convince themselves they are doing the right thing. I think that's what you need to do in light of no strong evidence one way or the other. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This kindof sums up the political season as well, I think.
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back