Minimal startups

I am a Guru user. I basically start every cook with a ring of charcoal, and a small amount of charcoal lit. LAst cook I did was a high heat brisket and after 4 hours of cooking I pluged everything and the next day when I came out for cleanup I still had 2/3 of a charcoal bowl of K left.

No water in the pan means less fuel burned. Guru means it stays on temp.

I am finding that I get a MUCH better degree of control the smaller I make my initial light up. I started with 25-30 briquettes. Fast temp climb. So I cut back to 20-25, then to 15-20, then 10-15. last cook I tried about 8-10 and that is where I started to have the problem.

When I am lighting smaller and smaller amounts of charcoal, I have taken to flipping my chimney over and starting it with the coals in the little funnel that the weber chimney has. This concentrates the briquettes. Right now I am using K, but I just bought 6 bags of lump from Costco.

So my question is: How do I light just 5 coals? Or just 5 pieces of lump?

Heck, I would even like, for my pure sense of gratification, to light just ONE and see how the Guru does. I think it would be fantastic.

I lit 8-10 this weekend and put them in and assembled. The Guru took off like a shot and by the time I had rinsed and patted dry my packer the pit temp was already 260. I was shooting for 365.

So, anyone have a method for lighting 5 briquettes? Or maybe only 1?

I really don't want to have to buy propane anything, or get extra gadjets. I have newspaper, a weber chimney, and the stuff listed in my sig...thoughts? (I AM about to add a pineapple juice can with the ends cut off shortly--there might be potential there...)

Suggestions?

Scott, Flipping the chimney upside down is prob your best bet, since you don't want to use a propane torch. I took the chimney grate out of my Weber chimney and flipped it so the funnel is at the bottom. This does the same as just using the chimney upside down, but it also puts the coals within reach of the flames on my side burner on the gasser. or use my propane torch. If not using the side burner, I use a hand held propane torch and light a few spots in the lump.

I have a Guru too but haven't used it in well over a year, maybe two. When I would start I would simply start with a few lit--5 or 6--but start with them less lit, i.e., not fully lit. I'd just spritz a paper towel with oil, light it, and place the inverted chimney with the coals over it. The towel, crumpled, sits on a rock that the chimney fits over, thus bringing the flame closer to the coals. When the coals looked to be better than half lit I'd dump them.

I like an even burn. I always spread coals out. I can't see using les than 5 or 6 for this reason.

Have your meat ready before start-up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(I AM about to add a pineapple juice can with the ends cut off shortly--there might be potential there...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of potential for what you want to do with the restrictions you also want (ie. no torch, etc).

The least amount I start up is 8-12 briqs (no guru or stoker), and I use a small coffee can with both top and bottom cut out, place that inside the chimney and the coals inside of that. No issues. I can't see why taking it to even a smaller can should not work just fine.

Todd

Have you tried the Weber starter cubes? One cube will start the briqs quite well. No paper, oil, or mess to clean up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I have a Guru too but haven't used it in well over a year, maybe two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it Kevin. I'm interested in trying one out someday, but not ready to pay $250+ for one. If I could get a used one at a discount that'd be swell.

Brandon

Back