Mini WSM Startup

Do you guys put the pot and lid on the lit briquettes immediately or leave the pot and lid off for a while. Or what is your procedure to get to target temp?

Last edited:
Assembled immediately after placing the lit coals on top of the unlit. Vents wide open. Once it hits 200* I close the bottom vent to 1/2.

Yesterday I did a load of skinless chicken breats. Placed unlit coals in bowl with two apple wood chunks. Lit 8 coals and placed on top of unlit. Placed pot on top and let the temp come up to 240* . Loaeed the chicken om both racks and cooked at 270* where it had settled in with both vents wide open.

Kenneth;
I have noticed with the Mini-Joe and the 14.5 WSM that they seem to work better when I allow the smoker to come up to cooking temperature (as an example - with ribs and Boston Butts I run at 275 degrees) THEN start shutting the vents down to keep from cooking too hot. With the 18.5" WSM, I have to catch it on the way up to avoid too high temperatures. Just a slight difference in operation of the smokers.

In other word, with the Mini and the 14.5 I go to full cooking temperature before I close down the vents (partially to maintain that temp). I start out with the "tin can minion method" using 8 lit coals in the mini and the 14.5. As soon as I remove the tin can, I close up the cooker. When it hits 200 degrees internal, I put on the meat. When it hits the proper temperature, I start partially closing the vents.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back