Mini propane WSM

That looks quite awesome. I never had a gas smoker, but using those smoker boxes I have only been able to get up to 40 minutes out of them. Would putting a bunch of chips in the "water bowl" in the picture not work better and hold more than the little box? The rotisserie is definitely the icing on the cake! I would think you can also use this as a gas ignition (aka Performer) for traditional coal and wood fire if you want?

Thanks. This is my first gasser as well. I will say I can get 4 hrs of flavor from that little box if you place it in the right area. Thin blue smoke. The trick is not place it directly on the burner. Even after the tbs subsides, you can still smell the aroma from the chips throughout the whole cook. Usually the chips on the outside aren't completely used up. Here is a pic after some testing yesterday.20211228_110134.jpg
That looks quite awesome. I never had a gas smoker, but using those smoker boxes I have only been able to get up to 40 minutes out of them. Would putting a bunch of chips in the "water bowl" in the picture not work better and hold more than the little box? The rotisserie is definitely the icing on the cake! I would think you can also use this as a gas ignition (aka Performer) for traditional coal and wood fire if you want?

Last edited:
Please explain your cooking setup. Are you using gas and charcoal? If so in the pan or on the grate? This confuses me.

Confusion is good....it makes us think.

Anyway. Many years ago, let's think 30+ years?
I made a smoker out of a trash can. Found the plans in a Jeff someone cookbook. He got disgraced by a former lover. But I digress.....
Galvanized trash can, small, maybe 30 gallon? Drill a hole in the side, pass the cord of an electric hot plate through, cast iron skillet with chips on it, low and slow. I was smoking trout I was catching locally. Good results.
Got an invite to a BlueGrass Festival, I had an old Ford Pickup. Yeah, I'll go.
3 days semi-rough camping, with my wife and my 4 month old daughter (first born, damn, looking back we were taking chances).

So I was thinking about food, what to bring, what to make. What to bring.

Thought about the smoker. Converted it to propane little jugs with a camping burner attached. Sat it up on 1950's wooden legs from a discarded record player.

Brought ribs, chicken. The smoker, from testing before going, I found would get to a reliable 200 F degrees or so. So, get the food on early in the morning.

I was camping on a heavily travelled path from the areas to the music venue. And cooking. And the cooking was emanating to the path.

We ate good. We ate often. The smoker went almost non-stop for 3 days.

And I saw Alison Krauss when she was almost a teenager. She was playing with legends of music. Great music. Great time. Great food.

The smoker? It served it purpose. I eventually bought a WSM.

Bought this burner off Amazon over a year ago and never really used it. I also had a spare smokey Joe bottom so I combined the two to make a propane mini. It will run for 10, yes 10, hours on a 1 lb propane bottle low and slow.

View attachment 42430View attachment 42431View attachment 42432View attachment 42433View attachment 42434View attachment 42435View attachment 42437View attachment 42438View attachment 42436
How is the bowl attached to the burner ? I found one of those really cheap at a second hand store so might put it to use. Just not sure how things are secured. Thanks,

Bought this burner off Amazon over a year ago and never really used it. I also had a spare smokey Joe bottom so I combined the two to make a propane mini. It will run for 10, yes 10, hours on a 1 lb propane bottle low and slow.

View attachment 42430View attachment 42431View attachment 42432View attachment 42433View attachment 42434View attachment 42435View attachment 42437View attachment 42438View attachment 42436
I converted my mini smoker to propane and am in the process of my first gas smoke. My chip box looks to be the same as yours but my chips flamed up. I replaced the box with chips in heavy foil… so far, so good. Thanks for your post and conversion idea. I still have a second Joe for charcoal smoking if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I converted my mini smoker to propane and am in the process of my first gas smoke. My chip box looks to be the same as yours but my chips flamed up. I replaced the box with chips in heavy foil… so far, so good. Thanks for your post and conversion idea. I still have a second Joe for charcoal smoking if needed.
I've been away for a while so sorry for the late response. I fill my smoke box with chips and put it off to the side of the burner so it is barely over the flame. If you put it on top of the burner they will burn up and create dirty smoke. I can get thin blue smoke for around 5 hours this way. Glad you are enjoying your mini gasser. It's nice to have options.
20231016_152552.jpg20231016_152541.jpg
Screenshot_20231016_192454_Gallery.jpg

Confusion is good....it makes us think.

Anyway. Many years ago, let's think 30+ years?
I made a smoker out of a trash can. Found the plans in a Jeff someone cookbook. He got disgraced by a former lover. But I digress.....
Galvanized trash can, small, maybe 30 gallon? Drill a hole in the side, pass the cord of an electric hot plate through, cast iron skillet with chips on it, low and slow. I was smoking trout I was catching locally. Good results.
Got an invite to a BlueGrass Festival, I had an old Ford Pickup. Yeah, I'll go.
3 days semi-rough camping, with my wife and my 4 month old daughter (first born, damn, looking back we were taking chances).

So I was thinking about food, what to bring, what to make. What to bring.

Thought about the smoker. Converted it to propane little jugs with a camping burner attached. Sat it up on 1950's wooden legs from a discarded record player.

Brought ribs, chicken. The smoker, from testing before going, I found would get to a reliable 200 F degrees or so. So, get the food on early in the morning.

I was camping on a heavily travelled path from the areas to the music venue. And cooking. And the cooking was emanating to the path.

We ate good. We ate often. The smoker went almost non-stop for 3 days.

And I saw Alison Krauss when she was almost a teenager. She was playing with legends of music. Great music. Great time. Great food.

The smoker? It served it purpose. I eventually bought a WSM.
Wow, that sounds like a great adventure, great food and great music! There was a small island not too far from town we used to camp on every now and then. We'd fish all day and eat all night. It was always a good time but doesn't sound nearly as good as your experience!

Back