Middle section from 14.5” WSM fit on Smokey Joe?

Mike-GA

TVWBB Fan
Does the middle section from 14.5” WSM fit well on Smokey Joe?

I’m thinking of making a mini-WSM out of my Copper color SJ. I bought an aluminum tamale pot and I really like how the brushed silver pot looks with Copper SJ kettle. It’s the look I’m going for. I haven’t cut the pot yet but I did remove the label sticker. I'm in process of gathering materials and was about to make cuts but...

Beginning of Mini-WSM Smokey Joe Copper.jpg

... I may have the chance to get an old 14.5” WSM for about the same price as the tamale pot. I’m thinking to either return the tamale pot if the WSM middle section fits the SJ. …OR… I may use parts out of the 14.5” WSM to upgrade the tamale pot (grates with handles, grate brackets, charcoal basket ring, thermometer, etc…) because I like the silver pot/copper kettle combo. Either way, it might be easier and maybe cheaper than getting all the various pieces from various stores.

If you can get a 14.5 WSM, just use the 14.5 WSM as it is designed.

What would be the purpose of jerry rigging a kettle into a kinda sorta WSM?

Just the copper color?

Just the copper color?
Jim, this might answer your question.
Back in 2013 a lot of us were building minis. I'm not even sure that Weber had their 14 " WSM out then.
It was a fun and basically inexpensive project; I built one and for the two of us and it was perfect.
Here is a link to the project.

Just the copper color?
Point well taken. I agree using the stock 14.5 WSM without rigging a kettle makes sense to any normal person. This is not about making sense. It's just a fun project with the end goal of using the Copper SJ because I like the color.

I was really planning to make a homemade mini-WSM SJ from hardware store parts but then the 14.5 WSM popped up on my radar last night which changed my calculus a little. The 14.5 WSM was listed for $50 and look to be in good, well used shape. I put in an offer this morning but I am too late. I'm the back-up in the unlikely event the buyer falls through.

It would still be nice to know if anyone knows if the 14.5 WSM middle section can be used on a SJ.

I've seen pics of some people who have both a homemade mini WSM SJ and a stock 14.5 WSM. I thought maybe they could confirm.

Last edited:
Point well taken. I agree using the stock 14.5 WSM without rigging a kettle makes sense to any normal person. This is not about making sense. It's just a fun project with the end goal of using the Copper SJ because I like the color.

I was really planning to make a homemade mini-WSM SJ from hardware store parts but then the 14.5 WSM popped up on my radar last night which changed my calculus a little. The 14.5 WSM was listed for $50 and look to be in good, well used shape. I put in an offer this morning but I am too late. I'm the back-up in the unlikely event the buyer falls through.

It would still be nice to know if anyone knows if the 14.5 WSM middle section can be used on a SJ.

I've seen pics of some people who have both a homemade mini WSM SJ and a stock 14.5 WSM. I thought maybe they could confirm.
Mike, I might be wrong on this but if I remember right the lid on the WSM fits inside the barrel whereas the SJ the lid fits over the outside of the bottom half.

Right. WSM lids fit inside the top of the barrel.

So you'd probably have to turn the barrel upside down to make it work?
That’s what I’m thinking! since the diameter is the same, it “should” work. Flip the “barrel” and the lid and base should fit.
If the deal comes through, I’d think it’s money well spent!
Copper/Black/Copper would be very “Dodge Charger” pretty!

That’s what I’m thinking! since the diameter is the same, it “should” work. Flip the “barrel” and the lid and base should fit.
If the deal comes through, I’d think it’s money well spent!
Copper/Black/Copper would be very “Dodge Charger” pretty!
I’m going to give a day or two. Dodge Charger feel has a nice ring to it.

I have a new in the box center section that I'm willing to part with. Just pay shipping.
That’s so generous. Thank you! I‘ll reach out if I decide to go that route. My mind is vacillating between using a WSM or using the tamale pot.

Some good instruction on this forum to fabricate using the tamale pot. I have some ideas to put a little twist on the tamale pot but not totally thought out yet. Fun to challenge the noggin.

Part of the appeal of getting a cheap old beater WSM was that even if I ultimately decided not to use the WSM barrel, I could use some of the parts like hardware, grates with handles, charcoal basket ring, etc. Still thinking it out right now. Fun project.

Last edited:
Modifying a tamale pot is all well and good but, the porcelain enameled mid section will be pretty, the bright aluminum tamale pot…not as elegant!

Modifying a tamale pot is all well and good but, the porcelain enameled mid section will be pretty, the bright aluminum tamale pot…not as elegant!
The black is good looking for sure and Weber quality porcelain is undeniable but I kind of prefer the brushed look. I only wish there was a stainless steel pot at a reasonable price.

But alas, I'm trying to keep cost down and keep this as a pet project that I can agonize over for a while and maybe come up with some kind of incremental improvement over what folks have done before. I like smoked food but my family is somehow less enthusiastic besides ribs and pulled pork.

Back