Michael Ruhlman's Maple Cured Bacon from "Charcuterie"

Jay. I don't know where you are but I go to a mexican market and pay $2 a pound for pork belly and it is very good. A regular butcher shop wants 4.99 for bellies. I will make a bacon cheese burger and fries tonight.
Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've made the Ruhlman bacon several times using Berkshire pork. It's not expensive, and you can get it via the internet: see http://www.heritagepork.com/product/43055. Best bacon I've ever had, hands down.

5 bucks a pound sounded nice until I saw the shipping.
icon_eek.gif
which makes it closer to 8 bucks a pound. I pay 7/lb for some really, really good bacon made by a small, local sausage shop. I suppose if and when I finally source some belly and the bacon turns out better than their stuff it'll be worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This topic continues to make my mouth water wanting to try... I do appreciate the source link and like that they offer natural products. I too get really really good bacon locally at The Fresh Market at what I thought was pretty steep around $7 a lb.

Still I can't wait to try this sometime if I ever find a local source (no I haven't looked hard yet). I really want to try it with nitrite free cure just because I prefer to minimize that where I can. (personal choice).

Man would this ever be awesome on my most popular meal this time of year... BLT!

Jay. I don't know where you are but I go to a mexican market and pay $2 a pound for pork belly and it is very good. A regular butcher shop wants 4.99 for bellies.

Upthread I mentioned that there are no mexican markets in my town. I know several butchers that said they'll order me a case, but I've yet to find one that'll sell smaller quantities.

Go Bills! (Originally from Kenmore, Williamsville East High School).

er...yeah. they are going to be awesome now that they acquired T.O.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I grew up around brighton and eggert in tonawanda, and now reside off of klien in williamsville (and married an East grad). Shoot me an email if you graduated late 80's early 90's.

I do remember you are in Buffalo. I would guess a case would be two ten pound pork bellies. and if you don't have a freezer that is a rough one. No asian markets either? I don't know then.
Originally posted by Bruce H:
This topic continues to make my mouth water wanting to try... I do appreciate the source link and like that they offer natural products. I too get really really good bacon locally at The Fresh Market at what I thought was pretty steep around $7 a lb.

Still I can't wait to try this sometime if I ever find a local source (no I haven't looked hard yet). I really want to try it with nitrite free cure just because I prefer to minimize that where I can. (personal choice).

Man would this ever be awesome on my most popular meal this time of year... BLT!

Actually I am in Louisville, KY. Admittedly I haven't searched hard yet... the Asian or Hispanic markets have been great suggestions. One of the great tidbits that comes from this forum. Never would have thought of that.

10 lbs. in a case wouldn't be bad, and do have a freezer.

I have that book too if you didn't get your question answered. Can't say that I've opened it much, but it's there!

Originally posted by Steve Gomes:
I do remember you are in Buffalo. I would guess a case would be two ten pound pork bellies. and if you don't have a freezer that is a rough one. No asian markets either? I don't know then. /QUOTE]

Well in loui ville there has to be pork belly. I am blind so was trying to find out if rulhmann would give me the book on computer form. Kevin and other people will help me with recipes when I want to make them. I made my first home cured bacon and when I die you will find a pork belly curing in my fridge. Just take out and smoke it. It is so great. Just keep callin around and you will find whole pork belly. but you have to get your pink salt first. Next up for me is pastrami. I am waiting for thermoworks to get a talking thermometer. then I will have to get a mini fridge and some other toys.
Originally posted by Bruce H:
Actually I am in Louisville, KY. Admittedly I haven't searched hard yet... the Asian or Hispanic markets have been great suggestions. One of the great tidbits that comes from this forum. Never would have thought of that.

10 lbs. in a case wouldn't be bad, and do have a freezer.

I have that book too if you didn't get your question answered. Can't say that I've opened it much, but it's there!

Originally posted by Steve Gomes:
I do remember you are in Buffalo. I would guess a case would be two ten pound pork bellies. and if you don't have a freezer that is a rough one. No asian markets either? I don't know then. /QUOTE]

I have used both hickory and maple and I prefer maple. I'm sure you will get lots of other opinions from members of this board, though. They are very helpful.

I also have a question - I have made the same Ruhlman bacon a number of times but I have never paid particular attention to whether or not it is "firm". Why is this important? And, how firm is firm? Does it mean there is no give to the cured meat whatsoever? Thanks in advance.

Elsie

Hi all - I know this topic must feel like it's been beaten to death, but can someone - anyone? answer the question I had re: the firmness of pork belly prior to smoking it as asked in my previous post? I have it curing right now and I really don't know what "firm" means. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Firm means a slight yield under pressure. It won't be hard but should not feel soft, like you are able to squish your finger down very far.

I don't worry about feel. As long as the temps stayed above 37 and I've cured long enough I've never had a problem.

it looks like I'm going to have to go for a full case of bellies. I have my butcher looking into prices. He gave me the option of "skin on" or not. I haven't gone back to look at the book yet to see if they recommend one or the other. Might someone let me know which is preferable for bacon?

also, I'll probably freeze the case and defrost in batches. I assume it'll work, however suggestions are always appreciated.

It'll work.

Skin-on bacon is quite common in the south. I do some with, some without (I remove and use for other stuff). If you don't plan on eating skin-on bacon and/or have no use for it just buy skinned bellies.

Originally posted by Steve Carson:
Has anyone done this receipe more than once using different smoke woods? Looking for recomendations on smoke wood please.
I've used Maple and Apple wood for the bacon. You want to stay away from strong woods as the maple flavor might/can get lost if using a strong smoke wood IMO.
icon_wink.gif

He gave me the option of "skin on" or not. I haven't gone back to look at the book yet to see if they recommend one or the other. Might someone let me know which is preferable for bacon?

I usually leave the skin on. The book isn't clear about that. The way I look at it, keeping the skin on is preferable for a 7-day dry cure. Skin off, it might become too salty. You can remove the skin fairly easily once it's off the smoker. If it cools down, it becomes difficult. The skin is great to add to a pot of beans as a flavour enhancer.

If you want it for something - smoked - leave it on and remove later. If you want it for something and need it unsmoked remove it first. Salt levels are unaffected either way.

In the south, the markets that do their own do both, and offer sliced bacon skin on or off. If you've never tried sliced bacon skin on do one that way at some point and see what you think.

Thanks for the replies Elsie and Bryan. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

I'm also looking for a little reassurance concerning my fridge temps. I know I'm probably obsessing over this too much but that's how I roll. My fridge temps seem to drop below 36 regularly during its normal cycle. If I adjust the fridge so that it does not drop below 36 then it will rise above 40 before cycling the compressor back on. It is probably in the range of 36 to 40 80 percent of the time but regularly drops below 36 during its normal cycle. Do I need to be concerned?

Maybe. Curing will stop at very cold temps. That said, 7 days is a fairly long cure time for typical commercial belly.

You could:

Cheat the fridge temp up very slightly to give you less, if any, time below 37. (A slight rise over 40 doesn't concern me much.)

Remove the bally from the fridge when you overhaul, for 30 min, before replacing it in the fridge.

Or

Make no changes and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info Kevin. I had already been doing what you suggested when overhauling (keeping the belly out at room temp for a little while). I have the belly cut into three pieces and each piece is in its own Ziplock. I have them stacked on top of each other. I have been monitoring the temp between bags with a probe therm. and only noticed it dropping below 36 one time. I'll bump the temp up a little and see how it goes. Please clarify for me the following: When the belly itself drops below 36 curing stops and then when it warms to above 36 does curing then resume or once the process is stopped it's cured as much as it's going too?

Thanks much for your help!
Steve

Back