Michael Ruhlman's Maple Cured Bacon from "Charcuterie"

I am trying this recipe for the first time and need some assistance.

I got a 7.5 lb piece of pork belly from the local butcher. Originally, I had wanted a 5 lb piece but ended up with extra. No worries. I adjusted the ingredient quantity.

Unfortunately, the piece wouldn't fit into my 2.5 gallon ziploc bag. So, I cut it in half and used two bags.

One of the zippers broke after the pork belly was inside. So, I put a new bag over the old one. At the time it was messy and I just wanted to get in in the fridge. In hindsight I should have just take the belly out and put it in the new bag. Live and learn.

Now I am worried that the liquid is going to escape from the inner bag and no longer be in contact with the actual pork belly. Is it okay to open the outer bag and try to remove the damaged inner bag?

It has been sitting in the fridge since Saturday afternoon.

Thanks in advance!

Now I am worried that the liquid is going to escape from the inner bag and no longer be in contact with the actual pork belly. Is it okay to open the outer bag and try to remove the damaged inner bag?
Yes.

Just dump all into a bowl, discard the broken bag, put all back in the bag, seal, fridge.

hey Cameron. I wonder if you could give me an email
finnygomes@msn.com
so we can talk about things you have made in the book. I am wondering if I will be able to do it. and they don't make that book in braille. thanks.

Cameron. I am gona do the bacon and can't wait to try it. I would really like to try making salami and other cured meats that you have made. I wonder if I need special refridgeration
Originally posted by Cameron. also wondering if I can do it without sight. Give me an email at finnygomes@msn.com if you can. thanks:
I have made virtually every recipe in the Charcuterie book over countless hours - its an amazing book and I love it as it allows me to eat great food at a fraction of the deli prices - and it tastes better, like virtually anything you make yourself.

I enjoy making terrine's, pate's, bacon, braesola, salami's, and more.

If anyone has any questions on other stuff in the book - please feel free to ask.

Cameron. I am gona do the bacon and can't wait to try it. I would really like to try making salami and other cured meats that you have made. I wonder if I need special refridgeration

some meats dont require much to cure properly however there is relatively inexpensive equipment that can be added to an old refrigerator so it'll operate at a warmer temp. small personal humidifiers can be run inside the refrigerator to maintain ideal humidity.

j molinari's blog: cured meats has some good info on curing chambers.

Pork belly is curing in the fridge and will be facing the smoke on Sunday. I have 25 pounds cut into roughly 4 to 5 pound sections. I'm going to try to fit as much on there as I can. I figure on starting with 50 unlit briquettes and placing 5 lit on top followed by some smoke wood. Sound good?

thanks jay. I will have to check out that blog and look into getting a small refridgerator.
Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cameron. I am gona do the bacon and can't wait to try it. I would really like to try making salami and other cured meats that you have made. I wonder if I need special refridgeration

some meats dont require much to cure properly however there is relatively inexpensive equipment that can be added to an old refrigerator so it'll operate at a warmer temp. small personal humidifiers can be run inside the refrigerator to maintain ideal humidity.

j molinari's blog: cured meats has some good info on curing chambers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds good. I wonder if you could put the bellies in a vertical rib rack
Originally posted by Gerry D.:
Pork belly is curing in the fridge and will be facing the smoke on Sunday. I have 25 pounds cut into roughly 4 to 5 pound sections. I'm going to try to fit as much on there as I can. I figure on starting with 50 unlit briquettes and placing 5 lit on top followed by some smoke wood. Sound good?

Chris,

Please move to Just Conversation or delete as you see fit.

I have detailed my woes with cured pork bellies at TheSaltedPig under the post of Pork Belly.

I would post the original here but I think my narrative is too long.

The recession is kicking my hindquarters, so no pork bellies for me for awhile. Pork butt? No problem.

So, renaming this recipe to Recession Style Maple Cured Bacon went like this:

6.5 pound boneless butt, followed the Ruhlman ingredient list.
Cured for 8 days.
Smoked it for 4 hours at 250 lid temperature to achieve internal temperature of 150.
Taste: extraordinary. MUCH less salty than the buckboard bacon I've made in the past.

Curious, what are you guys paying for your pork bellies? I'll be doing my first batch and found a source for $2.19 a lb. Seems reasonable but I have nothing to compare it to.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Curious, what are you guys paying for your pork bellies? I'll be doing my first batch and found a source for $2.19 a lb. Seems reasonable but I have nothing to compare it to.
Not a bad price Larry. My cheapest place is $1.49lb, ribs still attached to the belly. The most expensive place is $2.49lb. fully trimmed, no ribs, and squared up.

man, I've yet to find a local place that has pork belly. I thought I finally found a source when someone emailed me a price list for a place that listed "fresh belly" for 1.39/lb as "preorder only." I called and the very unhelpful lady asked me if I had an account with them. I guess they only make orders for their restaurant accounts. I think I'm going to swing by one of these days to see what they deal is in person, because I can't imagine any place wouldn't want the business.

Just go to a Hispanic market. They're ubiquitous. Ask, if you don't see them in the case. I find belly everywhere.

Just go to a Hispanic market. They're ubiquitous. Ask, if you don't see them in the case. I find belly everywhere.

believe me...I tried. Buffalo has a small population of puerto ricans and they don't have any nice markets that might sell fresh meat. They aren't any other hispanic populations large enough to support a market. For instance, I have to go to toronto or pittsburgh to get fresh tortillas.

The best chance I found was a korean place that sold it sliced and frozen. I asked them if they start with it whole and fresh, which they did but their english was limited and they wanted to gouge me for a whole piece. I'm pretty sure my chinese market sells it, but their english is limited too, and they only bring trucks in from nyc once or twice a week, late in the evening, and most of the stuff is sold that night, so unless you know when a truck is coming you're out of luck.

Long story short...my search continues.
icon_mad.gif

I stopped in a store in our neighborhood and tried to ask for pork belly and got a blank stare. My spanish is pretty much limited to buenos dias and gracias (I tried pointing to my belly and got no response)

What would one ask for in spanish? The online translator said "vientre del cerdo". I guess I'm more curious than anything. I'm sure with a little more effort I could find a pork belly in Iowa!

Panceta corte.

I sent an e to Jim Duncan at Cityview. I'll let you know what he knows for sources.

Have you tried the farmers market? There is (or was) a woman there with pork. One of the top growers for Niman.

Thanks - That would be great.

The search hasn't been an active one, and I know its out there. I had a great pork chop at Cafe di Scala early this year and chatted a bit with the chef/owner while he was polishing glasses behind the bar and told him I dabbled in Q; he offered to order pork through his supplier if I wanted.

Back