Michael Ruhlman's Maple Cured Bacon from "Charcuterie"

Joel,

No pork bellies in Iowa. That's a knee slapper.

Do you have Piggly Wiggly's in Iowa? I called the butcher at one near me and he special ordered my bellies. When they came in they were priced less than he quoted. Shop the Pig!

Jim

We have plenty of super box grocers, Super Wally's, couple of Whole Foods stores. The closest thing we have to a "mom & pop" grocer is "The Fresh Market", which is a chain. Only meat markets left that I am aware of are in the pricier end of town. That's the only place I have thought might have the bellys around here.

The hispanic markets are a thought, although I havenn't notice any that would have fresh meat, there are A LOT MORE of those around these days that I honestly haven't investigated. Great tips on all of the sources! Gotta try this some day.

Here in CA over 50% of the population is Hispanic so it's pretty easy to find a carniceria. Believe it or though I found mine at an Asian market so you might want to call these too.

Got 25 pounds in the fridge. Today is the 9th day. I am a bit worried about the color. From other peoples pictures it seemed to have darked on the outside but bright pink on the inside. Some of my slabs are bright pink in spots on the outside. Is it overcured? At this point I won't have the time to smoke it until Saturday. Should I just rinse it and leave it dry in the fridge until then or leave it in the cure for a couple more days?

He could probably get bellies. Via Jim Duncan: Call Larry Cleverley 641-363-4299 (I remember meeting Larry at the market a couple years ago. Has a farm; knows people. Tell him what you're looking for.)

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Rinse, pat dry, wrap well, fridge. Dry just before smoking.

Thanks Kevin. As usual you've stopped me from freaking out. I think someone way have put something on top of the bacon while it was curing. Would weight on top of the bacon cause the bright pink spots? Just wondering about the color. Everyone else's pics look uniform in color and darker than some of mine.

well jerry it is my first time too. I will ask pin to check and see what color it is. I hope it is not black or something. I will smell it when I take it out of the cure. It has been in five days and it is not firm yet. Don't worry, relax, and have a home brew.

Dave from Denver, would you mind shooting me an email? I have a favor to ask of you. My email address is in my profile. Thanks.

Hi Joel. It is me the blind meat cutter. I am taking basic conversational spanish. You want to say " whole pork belly so you say
una panza entera de puerco

Originally posted by Joel Kiess:
I stopped in a store in our neighborhood and tried to ask for pork belly and got a blank stare. My spanish is pretty much limited to buenos dias and gracias (I tried pointing to my belly and got no response)

What would one ask for in spanish? The online translator said "vientre del cerdo". I guess I'm more curious than anything. I'm sure with a little more effort I could find a pork belly in Iowa!

I've never heard anyone say panza when discussing meat. Colloquially, common among Mexicans especially, where i live, is barriga, paunch.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Rinse, pat dry, wrap well, fridge. Dry just before smoking.

Hi Kevin, Im confused a little about what you said here. Rinse, pat dry, wrap well, fridge. I didnt realize you were supposed to wrap the belly. I thought it needed to sit on a rack in the fridge uncovered so it forms the pellicle? Does the pellicle form just as well if its wrapped? I have done this technique before with pork shoulder and I didnt wrap it. Just want to know what is best. I started curing the belly two days ago, so I plan on smoking at the end of next week.

Thanks for the help.

I was only refrring to the scenario Gerry described, i.e., needing to rescue a belly from its cure but not being ready to smoke it right away - he was looking at several days till able to smoke. In that case the wrapping protects it from excess moisture loss and spills from other stuff in the fridge.

You are correct that one normally leaves the belly unwrapped, preferably on a rack over a pan, in the fridge or, if time-pressed, on the counter with sa fan on it, to dry the surface and cause a nice tacky pellicle. This is usually done soon after removing the meat from the cure and not long before smoking.

Good luck with your belly - and welcome to the board!

I just finished curing another 15 pound belly. I made pancetta, maple cured bacon, and the cane syrup cured bacon that I mentioned in this post.

The cane syrup bacon turned out really well, but the maple cured recipe remains my favorite.

well I just finished a ten pound. It came out of the cure today and I am getting ready to put it on the smoker. I wanted the rind for cracklins so I removed it. I am gona have to practice that because it was not easy. This is my first one and it should be great.

I've made the Ruhlman bacon several times using Berkshire pork. It's not expensive, and you can get it via the internet: see http://www.heritagepork.com/product/43055. Best bacon I've ever had, hands down.

If you need to wait a few days between curing and smoking, and have a vacuum sealer like a Foodsaver, problem solved. I highly recommend a Foodsaver in any event. Great for freezing pulled pork, whole slabs of bacon, brisket, etc..

Originally posted by Shelly:
Berkshire pork. It's not expensive, and you can get it via the internet: see http://www.heritagepork.com/product/43055.
Shelly, Thanks so much for that link.
icon_cool.gif

I've made the Ruhlman bacon several times using Berkshire pork. It's not expensive, and you can get it via the internet: see http://www.heritagepork.com/product/43055. Best bacon I've ever had, hands down.

5 bucks a pound sounded nice until I saw the shipping.
icon_eek.gif
which makes it closer to 8 bucks a pound. I pay 7/lb for some really, really good bacon made by a small, local sausage shop. I suppose if and when I finally source some belly and the bacon turns out better than their stuff it'll be worth it.

Yep, I just noticed the shipping. I actually get mine through D'Artagnans, but at wholesale price (delivered to my business no charge)-- that's because I'm in a related industry.

Even so, the shipping is not by the pound, so if you add a whole fresh ham (I'm making a prosciutto from a whole Berkshire leg) and some butts, it's a pretty good deal per pound.

Go Bills! (Originally from Kenmore, Williamsville East High School).

Back