Mexican Roadside Chicken

Sean H

TVWBB Pro
I made some Mexican roadside chicken tonight for dinner. It's adapted from a Rick Bayless recipe, as seen here:

click for recipe

So, here goes. Ahead of time, I had my better half cut the chicken and rub it up with salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders, and cayenne pepper. She did a good job:

I cooked it in the OTP, at about 350f or so, with a small chunk each of apple and hickory for flavor. Here it is after the first basting...

Later, with some squash pieces roasting away...

Off the grill and resting...

The plated pic didn't turn out too well, but rest assured it was quite delicious.

I love this recipe. The spice paste is full of flavor, and even though it is basted onto the chicken during cooking, you can taste it throughout the meat.

Great looking chicken. Rick Bayless is an absolute master of Mexican cooking. I'm Mexican if that matters LOL.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The plated pic didn't turn out too well, but rest assured it was quite delicious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have no doubt. Wonderful Sean.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andres L.:
Great looking chicken. Rick Bayless is an absolute master of Mexican cooking. I'm Mexican if that matters LOL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've often wondered how authentic people considered Bayless, so that's interesting to read.

If you ever get a chance to eat at one of his restaurants in Chicago, I highly recommend it. I got to go to Topolobampo a couple years back, and it was fantastic.

Great looking chicken! I'm going to try this recipe for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean H:

If you ever get a chance to eat at one of his restaurants in Chicago, I highly recommend it. I got to go to Topolobampo a couple years back, and it was fantastic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Topolobampo and Frontera Grill (his other resturant right next door to Topo) are my favorite restaurants in Chicago. Been many times and never had a bad meal.

One thing too many buy stock in: beautiful plated pictures.
I say: blah blah blow!
Your grillin' photos are awesome and I'LL BET! that bird tasted GREAT!!!
Nice Cookin' Sean!

Oh man! Just bookmarked that recipe! I just ate dinner and ready to eat again after those pictures!!!

Sean to Shaun, great cook! I'm a fan of Rick's cooking and would really like to visit his restaurant one day.

Wow I seriously came across this recipe not long ago and have been wanting to try it. After seeing your post I know I have to try it. Looks delicious!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The plated pic didn't turn out too well, but rest assured it was quite delicious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have no doubt. Wonderful Sean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1+

Tried this recipe yesterday, I think my new favorite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean H:
I made some Mexican roadside chicken tonight for dinner. It's adapted from a Rick Bayless recipe, as seen here:

click for recipe

So, here goes. Ahead of time, I had my better half cut the chicken and rub it up with salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders, and cayenne pepper. She did a good job:

I cooked it in the OTP, at about 350f or so, with a small chunk each of apple and hickory for flavor. Here it is after the first basting...

Later, with some squash pieces roasting away...

Off the grill and resting...

The plated pic didn't turn out too well, but rest assured it was quite delicious.

I love this recipe. The spice paste is full of flavor, and even though it is basted onto the chicken during cooking, you can taste it throughout the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back