Methods for mounting ET-73 on WSM rack

SeanMcI1

Hi everybody,

Just a quick question. I have a 18.5 WSM. I installed the grommet and feed my wires through it. I usually use the clip that came with the maverick to attach the smoker probe to the upper rack hanging below the rack. I have two problems with this. 1. The clip doesn't hold the probe times and sometimes it falls out unless I wedge something in there like a toothpick. 2. It is a bit too close to the cold meat using this method to give a truly accurate read in particular the first hour or two.

I was thinking of rolling up some foil and using it to attach the probe to the rack a little lower. If I make a bigger bracket with foil connect it to the rack to suspend the probe will the foil impact the temp reading. I wouldn't this so since the bracket is metal anyway but I thought I would ask.

What other methods do people use to suspend that probe below the top rack and is that truly the best way to get an accurate read of the temp in the smoker?

Thanks. Looking forward to a cold weather Super Bowl cook this Sunday!

I just realized I could have asked this a lot easier. What. Do people think is the best way to mount the probe for a Maverick in a WSM between the upper and lower racks.

Howdy Sean and welcome!
When I first got my Mav I tried using it on an under the grate. To me that was a hassle, and just went with letting it hang in the top vent.
Temps are usually 12-15 deg higher @ vent vs grate so that's what I always use.
Easy peasy :wsm:

Tim

Thanks guys. Tom that gave me an idea. Your right, why I take some coat hanger wire (uncoated). Or other wire a bend a mount to hang it a little lower. Thanks.

The newest WSMs have a silicone opening for probes that is in just the right spot. There's a slit for running several probe wires, and there's also more of a round hole designed for sticking a probe in. Maybe it's time to CL your WSM and get a new one. :)

Why does it have to be between the racks?

You could stick the probe through a cork (make the hole in the cork/spud first as you don't want to damage the probe by having to push too hard) and let it sit on the grate. Or a potato works too. Let it sit on the top rack.

Back