Memphis BBQ

Will be in Memphis for a couple days. Never been and want to sample some Bar-B-Q. Will be staying at the Westin on Beale, but will have a car if needed to get to the good stuff. After cooking my own for so long, I'm tough to please, but I always enjoy the trying.

Any suggestions/recommendations? Is there any place which is considered the signature BBQ place in Memphis? If so, have they stayed true to their roots?

Thanks,
Bill

PS I did check out the restaurant recommendation forum, but it seemed like all the info was 5+ years old, so if there's anyone with current info, it would be appreciated.

William,

Rendezvous is the most well known and for good reason. Great ribs (dry rub).
My personal favorite is Central BBQ
Payne's and Interstate are both old school Memphis and great
Germantown Commissary gets a lot of praise from BBQ aficionados and is next on my list to try out

I cannot in good conscience to tell you the best on this list. They are all good!

William,

Rendezvous is the most well known and for good reason. Great ribs (dry rub).
My personal favorite is Central BBQ
Payne's and Interstate are both old school Memphis and great
Germantown Commissary gets a lot of praise from BBQ aficionados and is next on my list to try out

I cannot in good conscience to tell you the best on this list. They are all good!

Been to Memphis and the list is a good one. My personal opinion is that Rendezvous is overrated, but a must go to if in Memphis. Definitely go to the Germantown Commissary if you can get there. Bottom line is that there's a lot of good BBQ in Memphis. Enjoy.

One & Only BBQ is my favorite around here
Memphis BBQ Company in Horn Lake (short drive from downtown) is VERY good. Memphis in May Grand Champion Melissa Cookston puts out a great product. Plus you get free pork rinds!
Central BBQ is very good.
Germantown Commissary is good as well.
Rendezvous is fun and atmosphere is great. Some people love the ribs some people don't

That's my top 5 list! (lived within an 2 hrs of Memphis for 25 years, currently work in Germantown)

Hope you have a great visit in Memphis!

Thanks for the recommendations. I did get a chance to try Central BBQ. We had half a rack of ribs, brisket, sliced turkey and a pulled pork sandwich. All was very good with the exception for he brisket. It wasn't terrible. but I thought it had been trimmed too closely and was a little dry. The group I was with also had a dinner at Blues City Cafe. I had the combo plate that was recommended, with both ribs and fried catfish. I'd label it just ok . . .

That said, really enjoyed my couple days in Memphis. Although I was stuck in a conference all day Friday, I was able to see a little bit of the town, eat some pretty good food, and enjoy the atmosphere. For those who have never been to Memphis, I'd highly recommend a visit to the Civil Rights Museum located at the old Loraine Motel which is where MLK Jr., was shot. Very informative and powerful. But be prepared for spending at least a couple hours there. We spent 3.5 hours and still felt somewhat rushed.

Cheers,
Bill

Will be in Memphis for a couple days. Never been and want to sample some Bar-B-Q. Will be staying at the Westin on Beale, but will have a car if needed to get to the good stuff. After cooking my own for so long, I'm tough to please, but I always enjoy the trying.

Any suggestions/recommendations? Is there any place which is considered the signature BBQ place in Memphis? If so, have they stayed true to their roots?

Thanks,
Bill

PS I did check out the restaurant recommendation forum, but it seemed like all the info was 5+ years old, so if there's anyone with current info, it would be appreciated.

Went to Central BBQ in July. Fantastic!!

Back