Memorial Day/Smoke Day 2014

Wow, all the comments here have made my day. You guys are my inspiration for improving my skills at BBQ. After a few months of being here, I realized that there aren't any good BBQ places in Korea. Of course, Koreans have "BBQ", and even though it's good, it just isn't the same.
So I set out to put together my second smokey joe mini. Just like my first one back home, I went to the link on this forum to buy my parts, only to realize they didn't ship to my APO address. So I had to go to walmart.com. I got my tamale pot and smokey joe there, but I couldn't find a place to get my second grate. So I asked here on this forum if anyone knew of a place to ship to APOs.
Well, that's when Dwain stepped in, and in a big way. He related to me that he'd served here in Korea as well, with the Army. And instead of just finding a link were I could order my own, he packed up an awesome box of BBQ goodness and sent it over here. He sent the grate, a rib rack, towels, tongs, spatula, sauce pot, and even threw in some rub! I was amazed at his kind gesture. And all he'd asked for in thanks was a picture of my Airmen having a good time.
And we did have a good time, on cinco De mayo weekend we out it all to use, and it was a great way to decompress right before another operational exercise here in Korea-as Dwain probably remembers, we do those often here.
Dwain, I'm glad you like the flag. Fly it with pride, or display it, or both. I'm hoping you'll put that coin to good use too and use the "bottle opener" feature frequently. Thank you for your service here in Korea, for the excellent gesture of BBQ good will, and for creating this thread! Thanks to the rest of you for the great comments and for the inspiration each of you provides to keep my mouth watering for the next cook. Aim High/Fly Fight Win!
Jason

Back