Melted Trash Bag

Kris Auer

TVWBB Member
Last summer while cooking on my 18", a black trash bag blew up against the back of my smoker without my knowledge. Needless to say, a decent chunck of it melted to the smoker. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas or tips as to removing it. I've tried, Goo-Gone, soap and water, degreaser, stiff bristle brushes and steel wool to no avail. It's not the end of the world as the smoker will works perfectly, it just annoys me because it doesn't look good.

I would say that if heat put it on it should help in taking it off. Got a heat gun? or build a nice hot fire and use a razor scraper while wearing heat proof gloves.

Tim

OK Kris, this is coming from my DH.

Paint shops use a special wheel to remove vinyl and plastic lettering and strips. It's a round wheel you put in a drill. It heats the plastic without heating the metal. The plastic rubs away. You can buy it at auto parts and auto paint stores for about $20.

OK Kris, this is coming from my DH.

Paint shops use a special wheel to remove vinyl and plastic lettering and strips. It's a round wheel you put in a drill. It heats the plastic without heating the metal. The plastic rubs away. You can buy it at auto parts and auto paint stores for about $20.
That's a great idea Joan.:cool: I think those are made with a silicone face like a wire wheel. I have one and used it to remove caulk etc from metal surfaces.
They also make one that has flat blades like a water wheel.

Tim

DH said it is more like a giant pencil eraser mounted on a shaft. It's 5 or 6" around.

DH said it is a 3M Products Decal Removal Tool (strip off wheel) man. part #61500293891 $36.99 -Summit Racing Equipment - Sorry, that's all he gave me.

Back