Mediocre Tri-Tip

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Picked up this huge “Angus Beef” tri-tip at the supermarket on a whim. Not labeled as “Certified Angus Beef” and USDA grade not indicated. Not much in the way of marbling. Rubbed with Dalmatian Rub + Kinder’s Buttery Steakhouse rub. Grilled to 130F internal. Outside edge was a bit overdone on the thin end but about right in the center of the roast. Good flavor but not as tender as I’d like, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

978B5800-06BE-4BE6-A101-D1428CACBC3D.jpeg

897A3F95-1B10-4FA5-BA63-F2B27739167B.jpeg

5D75CA01-64C7-45CD-9524-4DB0B156A99C.jpeg

275DC083-D4A3-44B3-9901-4F4609EFF15C.jpeg

D1875190-0568-49CD-A669-EEE092B6CCB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Chris, the pic makes it look like it was past 130... Maybe you need a thermoworks smoke ;)

still looks better than the take-out Chinese we had tonight. (it was a long day...)

I’ve done Sous Vide Tri-Tip. One of the things I love about tri-tip is the “chewiness” texture of the beef. That “chewiness” goes away when you sous vide the tri-tip. It’s more prime rib like in texture (not that that’s a bad thing).
1633804125927.jpeg

One of the sayings for buying fine european antique shotguns is "buy the gun" and refers to buy based on actual observed quality. I think that applies to buying beef.

We have tri-tip more than any other cut, since we love it and it gets the most request by friends asking me to cater their events. I am the guy in front of you at the Costco open meat fridge digging through the tri-tip, looking for the most marbled ones. ;)

I'd take Chris' tri-tip over a sharp stick any day.

This was in my inbox from thermoworks this morning.

View attachment 38726

Yes, in my inbox this morning, too. I don't have a sous vide rig right now, but if I did I'd probably be too lazy to drag it out and set it up for a single tri-tip.

The sharp stick comment is a regular around my house. We just add stick in the eye. Personally tri tip is a staple, go to beef at least once a month around my house. I always use a Weber kettle, indirect with wood chunks. Yours looks excellent! Well done.

It sure looks good, Chris. I usually cook mine indirect until 110, then sear about 2 min per side 2X. Never thought of grilling all the way to the end, maybe I'll try the next one that way. Hard to tell in the pic, but it looks like you slice yours a little different then mine, I go from the top point, where your probe is at, and make my way to the thinner point, if that makes sense. Probably makes no difference, as long as it's cross grained, just thought I'd mention it. Either way, looks delicious and juicy!

Back