Meatloaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy.

This weekend I made up two meatloafs. I followed the Smoke and Spice recipe "Aint' Your Momma's Meatloaf" or something, but used Chris's recipe for cooking temps times.

On the recommendation of a fellow forum folk (can't remember who, so my apologies for not giving proper credit) I used the Weber firestarters to light my chimney. Sweet fancy Moses, did those coals light up quick!

I used a chimney and a half, 3 small chunks of cherry wood and an empty water pan. I brought the WSM up to around 350 and put the loafs in. Temps stayed in the 340 - 360 range. I sauced with my leftover Hot OK BBQ sauce at the 40 minute mark and they were done 20 minutes later. The smoke ring was gorgeous, as was the smell. As much as it killed me to not eat it immediately, meatlofs benefit greatly from a night in the fridge. The next day I had it for breakfast. Beef, it's not just for dinner anymore.

The best part was how there was zero cleanup needed. For $0.97 I bought 3, Glad disposable foil broiler pans. They were the perfect size for a meatloaf and had a built-in pad to soak up grease. Once the loaves were done, I just threw the pans away and that was it.

I don't think I can go back to non-smoked meatloaf now. Curse you WSM for spoiling me for nonsmoked meats!

-Brandon

Glad the meatloaf went well Brandon. All mine I've done with water in the water pan. They came out great. Interesting idea with the foil pans. If I was running my WSM dry I would try that.

As with a lot of good ideas on this site, I got the foil pan idea from Chris's article on cooking meatloafs. All of the pie pans seemed too small though. The broiler pans were the perfect size, and rectangular too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back