Meatloaf and Some Onions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
MMMM meatloaf.
One of my all time favorite next day sandwiches. and i agree that good lump gives plenty of smoke to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dale, Couldn't agree more. This one came out just perfect in every way. Taste, and just the right amount of flavor from the lump. Guys out at work just loved it. I've been taking meatloaf sammies in my lunch all week, and I'm still liking it. It has great charcoal flavor, with just a hint of smoke. Came out perfect IMO.
icon_smile.gif

Oh Bryan how could you do this to me! It's 11:38 here and I'm getting hungry then I have the bright idea to check out who's been Qing what and I see your pics, simply awesome dude!

After reading and salivating over Bryan S meatloaf, I just had to try it myself.
So yesterday I cooked the Alton Brown meatloaf and it turned out great. Thanks for the tips and info on how you cooked yours Bryan, it has helped me a lot in the short time that I have been using my WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Do you put yours in a pan or direct on the grate. I usually cook them directly on the grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, you been drinking?
icon_razz.gif
First pic in the album, and below, this is in my original post. Bottoms UP!
icon_biggrin.gif

"Incase anybody was wondering about that white flap on the one end, in the first pic. That's an old Shawn W trick for meatloaf. Place the loaf on parchment and take a sharp knife and trim around the loaf, as tight as you can. Not sure if he leaves the end on, but it sure made removal quite easy. Just grabbed it and pulled the loaf onto a un-rimmed flat cookie sheet, that had several layers of some uncoated paper I bring home from work on it to soak up the juice/grease. Total cook time from when it went on the top grate, right after dumping the lit and assembling the WSM, was 1 hr 45 min." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just catching up with my previous posts. To answer you - yes I was. And I'm not apologizing
icon_biggrin.gif

The tequila was great.

Bryan, that looks fantastic! I just did a loaf last week. One of my favorites. I'll give an onion a try next time, thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig C:
I'll give an onion a try next time, thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Craig, The onions ROCK Dude! I like to throw them on whenever I can/remember to.
icon_rolleyes.gif
They are killer, and go good with most meals.
icon_wink.gif
A softball sized O will take right around 2 hrs. at a 250º cooking grate temp to be fully cooked and Oh so sweet.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've never tried smoking an onion. I love them grilled, expecially purple onions. I'll have to give it a try.

Brian, do you find that the onion picks up the smoke flavor well?

Weldon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weldon:
I've never tried smoking an onion. I love them grilled, expecially purple onions. I'll have to give it a try.

Weldon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I close the foil up tight. I want them to braise/stew and sweeten up. If you leave the foil open they tend to dry out on you and the texture/taste changes. The O's get very sweet closed up tight in the foil, and are so good to eat. Really does remind you of French Onion soup. Grate some cheese ontop as soon as you dump the O and broth out of the foil and Man that's "Good Eats"
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weldon:

Weldon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I close the foil up tight. I want them to braise/stew and sweeten up. If you leave the foil open they tend to dry out on you and the texture/taste changes. The O's get very sweet closed up tight in the foil, and are so good to eat. Really does remind you of French Onion soup. Grate some cheese ontop as soon as you dump the O and broth out of the foil and Man that's "Good Eats"
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Brian. My mouth is watering just thinking about it

Weldon

Bryan, as usual the pics look great and the food looks DELICIOUS!

Whats the ingredients you put in your meatloaf?

Been doing foiled smoked and grilled whole onions since I was a young laddie
icon_smile.gif
Can't beat them. Carve out the center and stuff anything good in there before wrapping (I think Bryan does a bit of this). Anything cooked with it carmelizes along the way with the onion.

Grilled onions this way and mushrooms - I could just do that and be happy.

My 1st generation Italian mother in law (and my wife) start their red gravy with a whole onion in the pot with key base ingrediants to start the sauce. That whole onion get's well carmelized and then cooks with the sauce. When I first started dating my wife and after the first dinner - that onion was in the sauce before plating and I asked - "Did anyone claim that yet?".

Frankie - my (now) Father in Law looked at me like he wanted to fight. I got it
icon_smile.gif
Now he gives it to me every time. Carved up, a little sauce, hot pepper flakes or better yet some dried and deep fried whole Italian long hots and man you are as high as a kite.

Anyway did I say I like whole onions? Thick sliced and grilled, not that's yet another story.

BTW - I was a vegetarian for 25 years....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Carve out the center and stuff anything good in there before wrapping (I think Bryan does a bit of this). Anything cooked with it carmelizes along the way with the onion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes i do. I do about 2 TBS of butter, 1/2 of a Knorr beef cube (the Knorr brand is a double cube) and put a bay leaf in there along with a few twists from the white pepper mill. This time I cut the O like a bloomin onion, just for the sake of doing it, but I usually core out the center some.

Back