Meatloaf and Some Onions

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Made up a 3 lb loaf after work today. Cooked it over Hump Lump. I lit a full chimney and dumped that on to half a ring full of Hump. Just the foiled lined empty water pan as usual. WSM got up to about 310º-315º lid temp and stopped. All vents wide open, I keep tellin' ya all it runs cold.
icon_biggrin.gif
Also put on 2 onions and cut them like a bloomin' onion this time, verses coring them out. Also remembered to put a bay leaf in each pouch as well. The meatloaf was made for sammies to take in my lunch. The garage is smelling pretty darn good, as the loaf cools down some before putting it in the fridge.
icon_biggrin.gif

Making some Bacon, Bella, Cheese burgers as well, that's why I sliced the o"s they way I did. So they would fit better on the burgers. The burgers were supposed to be for dinner tonight, but I have no appetite.
icon_frown.gif
Oh well, I'll take em in my lunch for work tomorrow.
Link to phot's of Loaf and O's

EDIT: Incase anybody was wondering about that white flap on the one end, in the first pic. That's an old Shawn W trick for meatloaf. Place the loaf on parchment and take a sharp knife and trim around the loaf, as tight as you can. Not sure if he leaves the end on, but it sure made removal quite easy. Just grabbed it and pulled the loaf onto a un-rimmed flat cookie sheet, that had several layers of some uncoated paper I bring home from work on it to soak up the juice/grease. Total cook time from when it went on the top grate, right after dumping the lit and assembling the WSM, was 1 hr 45 min.

TYNTV-Meatloaf004.jpg

Bryan as usual your food looks mouth watering.

Just curious at what internal temp, you pull the meatloaf off ?

Any pork in the loaf ?

Happy Smoking

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Bryan as usual your food looks mouth watering.

Just curious at what internal temp, you pull the meatloaf off ?

Any pork in the loaf ?

Happy Smoking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John Thanks. I pulled it off at 158º and carry over heat took it to 160º. It held at 160º for about 6-7 minutes before dropping. I left the probe in to watch how much carry over heat cooking I had, and for how long. No pork in there. I wanted to get some, but the store didn't have any. I used 80/20 as it was on sale for $1.59lb. I also didn't use any smoke wood. I don't use smokewood on meatloaf, or when I make Roasted Pork and or Roasted Pork and Kraut. I find I get great charcoal flavor just from the Humphrey's Lump on those items.

Bryan,

The meat loaf looks great. I cooked one about two weeks ago and added 3 chunks of apple wood. The smoke flavor was a bit overwhelming. Next time I will go with charcoal only. The ground beef just absorbs too much smoke.

I agree, even just a chunk of wood is too much on meatloaf for me. Looks wonderful Bryan, wish I could pick that sucker up and take a big ol' bite out of it right now!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Nice onion blossom btw, whats your technique for cutting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I took my very sharp Santoku knife and just went at it. Just need to be careful as to not go through the bottom, it'll all fall apart on you.
icon_mad.gif
I'll try and make this short.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Cut just enough of the root end off so it sits flat. Then did the first cut in half, spun and second cut made a plus. Then went through and made 8th's then 16's to finish. Holding it together pretty tight the whole way while spining and cutting. Once done, I picked it up still with a tight grip and placed it into the waiting foil bowl that had a bay leaf on the bottom. Added the beef cube, butter, then woosty. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Nice onion blossom btw, whats your technique for cutting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I took my very sharp Santoku knife and just went at it. Just need to be careful as to not go through the bottom, it'll all fall apart on you.
icon_mad.gif
I'll try and make this short.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Cut just enough of the root end off so it sits flat. Then did the first cut in half, spun and second cut made a plus. Then went through and made 8th's then 16's to finish. Holding it together pretty tight the whole way while spining and cutting. Once done, I picked it up still with a tight grip and placed it into the waiting foil bowl that had a bay leaf on the bottom. Added the beef cube, butter, then woosty. HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, I'll have to give that a try, planning on doing alot of cooking tomarrow!

Wow Bryan that looks unbelievable, I have a serious love of meat loaf, I really need to try smoking one.

Hi Bryan,

Terrific looking meatloaf! Next time I have room to add an onion or two, I'll definitely give the onions a try.

Bay leaves! When I get time, I've got an interesting bay leaf & barbecue story to post.

Good stuff!

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
Wow Bryan that looks unbelievable, I have a serious love of meat loaf, I really need to try smoking one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ken, Be careful of "smoking one". As I find that the use of smoke wood on a meatloaf, is something I really don't care for.
icon_eek.gif
I just use Humphrey's Lump charcoal, and that's plenty of flavor IMO, YMMV.
icon_wink.gif
Have at it, and post your cook, and findings for us.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yum!. That looks great!

I love meatloaf on the smoker/grill. We don't do them any other way anymore.

Well done!

Smoked meatloaf - one of my favorites. Looks great Bryan. Do you put yours in a pan or direct on the grate. I usually cook them directly on the grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Do you put yours in a pan or direct on the grate. I usually cook them directly on the grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, you been drinking?
icon_razz.gif
First pic in the album, and below, this is in my original post. Bottoms UP!
icon_biggrin.gif

"Incase anybody was wondering about that white flap on the one end, in the first pic. That's an old Shawn W trick for meatloaf. Place the loaf on parchment and take a sharp knife and trim around the loaf, as tight as you can. Not sure if he leaves the end on, but it sure made removal quite easy. Just grabbed it and pulled the loaf onto a un-rimmed flat cookie sheet, that had several layers of some uncoated paper I bring home from work on it to soak up the juice/grease. Total cook time from when it went on the top grate, right after dumping the lit and assembling the WSM, was 1 hr 45 min."

God i hate this site. After reading this, took off work early and went to the local high end grocery store, Lunardis. every once in a while they have pre-made meatloaf on sale for $1.99 per pound. It's made of beef, pork and veal. It's awesome. So fired up the WSM and just put it on. looks like an early dinner tonight.

thanks for the idea Brian.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john enea:
God i hate this site. After reading this, took off work early and went to the local high end grocery store, Lunardis. every once in a while they have pre-made meatloaf on sale for $1.99 per pound. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL!!! John, That's cheap for already made.
icon_cool.gif
Heck around here, 80/20 is more than that per lb. when not on sale. Take some pics if you can.

Right on Bryan! MMMM meatloaf.
One of my all time favorite next day sandwiches. MMM yours looks perfect and i agree that good lump gives plenty of smoke to them.

Back