Meathead says Beer Can Chicken is BS

Originally posted by rich langer:
I would like someone to cook three chix as an experiment

First - your fav beer can recipe

Second - as first but with an empty can -(drink it, don't pour it out)

Third - as second but with the bottom of the can cut out

Serve the bird to your pals etc. and see what they think.

I've done this--sort of. Where I end up is that about 1/3 can of beer works best because it will get to boiling at some point during the cook and the inside of the chicken won't be raw. And it gives me a reason to pound a few partial cans of beer up front.
icon_smile.gif

I also just stand the chickens up on end without any device. If you don't have a 4.0 earthquake they'll stand up on their own once you tweak the legs right. Here's a pic of 6 no-can chicken. You can use an empty can if you need more stability or if you're thirsty.
icon_smile.gif

six_beer_can_chix_done.jpg

I don't cook with water pan but folks but apple juice, cider vinegar, beer and all kinds of stuff in the water pan for flavor. I think this flavors the skin but doesn't go deep into the meat so probably best for ribs only, IMO.

I don't like brining chix or turkey because the skin always seems really rubbery.

Now a days I go with no can and stand those little chix up in the WSM at 325-375 for a couple hours. I do turkey breast or spatch turkey on the top rack with no brin but inject/slather with butter and olive oil injection, maybe a little apple juice in there. Skin comes out crispy.

I have thrown some beer can chix on the kettle at a party because people ask for it, its a show and they talk about it. I don't think it changes the taste, which comes from the rub and the smoke and the temp profile. If you want to throw the can in there for effect keep the beer to a minimum or it just slows you down.

Originally posted by Chad Anderson:

Your picture of the chickens gave me a good laugh, looks like they're conspiring
icon_biggrin.gif

That's too funny. "Next time this guy opens the lid, we're out of here!"

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad Anderson:

Your picture of the chickens gave me a good laugh, looks like they're conspiring
icon_biggrin.gif

That's too funny. "Next time this guy opens the lid, we're out of here!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"He won't think this is so funny when we put him and his buddies in here!"
icon_biggrin.gif

Those chickens look awesome ...and...after reading Meathead's article I will use my turkey rack without any infuser or can for comparison.

I avoid brining only because of the salt.

Before joining this site I roasted many a chicken upright BCC style mainly so they would drain. Chickens today are nothing like we used to get years ago. There's never a chicken or a turkey carcass that gets thrown out around here until it's been simmered for stalk but when you try to separate the fat from the drippings there's not much left to save by comparison. That's why I don't like cooking a chicken on its back, there's so much grease.

To me the BCC rack is a healthier way to cook whole chicken.

I've never done a beer can chicken, ever. Just didn't get around to it or probably (more likely) drank the beer I was going to use. I follow a lot of meatheads stuff and would believe this to be a truth. I wonder what Alton Brown would say about BBC?

*BCC

Last edited:
Not sure if there is a danger to BCC but I have always thought it was a worthless method. I can see where standing the chicken up will help with even cooking though.

Meathead is an idiot and he is full of BS.

I bought this (read the reviews) and it is the most juicy chicken we have ever had, the breast was very moist, and yes, you can taste a hint of the Beer. Meathead has obviously not used it, the key, is in the plug that goes in the top of the neck, it keeps the moisture in, it is by far the best chicken we have ever eaten and i use a Weber Gasser, i can only imagine what you guys with charcoal and some wood chips could do to a bird. I did one Sunday with Newcastle Brown Ale and a little rub in the bottom of the bowl, make your tongue fall out of your mouth and slap your nose.The leftovers make a great Beer Can Chicken Chili.

Last edited:
Whenever I have done BCC or BCT I always plug the neck usually with the skin and foil. I've always enjoyed chicken and turkey done this way but...I am going to try Meathead's suggestion and allow the air flow right through. I have not used a beer can in years. I know aluminum melts at about 1100F so that's no issue but I know nothing about the coloring on the can and when it starts to break down or gas or whatever. Stainless is my best friend in these circumstances.

Back