meat questions

Anton

TVWBB Fan
Ok, I know this has all been covered before, but I don't have the energy to sift through the millions of posts
icon_smile.gif
and was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown in a few short words...

In my experiences with baby back ribs, I won't buy them anywhere except my local butcher who charges an arm and a leg. The reason being I can guarentee that they are good peices of meat. When shopping at some of the discount stores, is it a matter of being able to pick the better pieces of meat or do some places carry better meat than others? Do the places you'all go have consistantly decent meat? My experience with the discount chain is very hit and miss, and the misses have been borderline edible. I'm just trying to figure out if my misses are due to me not being able to pick out the better peices of meat or the quality that is provided at these stores.

My experiences (above) have been mainly with baby backs, ever since my tough as leather rib experience have been gun shy about buying a packer brisket from these places.

What do you look for in a full cryovac brisket?

Is a pork butt a pork butt?

Whats the process you guys go through when you get to the butcher counter at your local food store?

Any help here would be great.

Anton

I buy most of my meat from BJ'S. Love their meat and prices on BB'S, Spares, Butts, Chuck Roll, and they get some huge untrimmed flats in. Whole packers i get at Super Wal Mart. Between the 2 and 0ver 50 smokes never had a bad piece of meat yet. YMMV

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What do you look for in a full cryovac brisket?

Is a pork butt a pork butt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea about the chains or if they vary from Bryan's experience. I don't shop at any; can't help you there.

Brisket: If it's labeled "Choice" or "Select", I go for "Choice". Regardless, I'm looking for good marbling. Flip it over fatcap down and poke around. Look at the fat and feel it. I'm also looking for even flat thickness, not one that tapers and gets thin. The point is often bulbous, much thicker than the flat, but not always. I like if they're thicker. I have not bought a flat in a long time. I much prefer packers.

Rib: Striated fat on the meat side through the meat, not gobs of fat, I want thin streaks through the meat and plenty of them. I do not do b-backs.

Butt: My only requirement, really, is bone-in. I prefer not less than 6.5 lbs, preferably 7-8. They do not come skin-on around here; I'm ambivalent on that issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm just trying to figure out if my misses are due to me not being able to pick out the better peices of meat or the quality that is provided at these stores. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes you have to adapt your approach to what you buy. Good luck.

Another happy BJ's customer here. The quality has been fine and the prices are great. I get my butts, spares, baby backs, turkeys, chickens and occasionally my brisket from there. The brisket flats are generally too small and too trimmed for me. As far as quality goes I've never had a problem. I did get one rack of BB's that tasted like they were about to turn. When I looked at the sell by date I realized I waited too long to cook them (not their fault).

We don't have a local butcher so the only other place to buy the stuff is the grocery store. The stuff there is just as good but the prices are much higher.

Back