meat prices

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was interested on getting a cross section of meat prices. I live in the cheese and cow state of Wisconsin, but I also live in Madison which does not have any Costco, Super Wal-Mart, Foodco, etc. I am trying to avoid joining Sam's but if I must, so be it.

I have purchased loin (baby) backs from a butcher for $5.59 and spares from the local grocery for $2.69. I also feel royally R@amed, but I purchased a flat brisket from the same butcher at $5.99/#. But, my grocery store is currently selling boston cuts (6#) for $.98/#.

I was just curious who is currently seeing what. Thanks for any input.

I'm in the SF Bay Area:

Baby/Loin backs - $3.99 (3 slab cryo @ Costco)
Spares - $1.99 (2 slab cryo @ Costco)
Choice Brisket (whole packer) - $1.29 - $2.69
Select Brisket (whole packer) - $1.09 - $1.19
Pork Butt (bone-in) - $.89 - $1.09 (Costco)

Cheers,
R

THANKS for all of the responses Rich. Once again, this website rocks!

And by the way, I had a feeling I was getting taken to the bank on beef prices. I might try some out-skirts town for local beef.

T-

You're welcome....gotta have something to do while I smoke a cigar on this nice California evening. Not firing up the cooker until tomorrow morning....ribs tomorrow, jerky on Sunday.

BTW, keep trying on the brisket. I had never had brisket before when I first made one. Didn't like it. Kept trying, and I KNEW when I nailed one just how good it could be. Choice grade beef makes a BIG difference!

Enjoy your weekend.

Rich

Rich, you know the worst wait is not the 16-18 hours for the BUTT, but the 12-15 hours of waiting to fire up the smoker.

Enjoy the stogie and I hope you have a ocean view.

Troy In Milwaukee I was able to find some nice deals on choice brisket earlier this year at Sams (.99/lb-1.29/lb) but havent priced it in a while.

I agree I hate to pay place money for the right to shop there it kind of offends my sensibilities. In the Madison area you have an exceptional purveyor of meat but I've never known of them to be on the inexpensive side just really really good (they supply the meat to the nauti-gal and most of Madisons good restraunts) its called Neesvig and every few months they have a good sale to the public. I'd get on their mailing list and they will let you know when they are opening there doors to the public as most of the time they just supply restraunts. (killer top sirloins!!!) http://www.neesvigs.com/
In Milwaukee Baby Backs have been around $3.99 but the good ones are a drive for me down to Kenosha to Calumet meats and with the 20% discount card you can talk them into giving you they will run you about $4.20/lb but worth every penny.

shulder in milwaukee has been hard to find at a price and quality I like to smoke with. Jewel sells smithfield lean generation which while not enhanced I think tends to dry out as it is bred to have less fat in it (not what you want for a self basting meat like Mr Brown. Festival (which was rainbow) had great deals on pork butts (consistently around .89 but it was all enhanced)

I fostered a good relationship with the butcher at Woodmans (in kenosha though) and found out they are now handling mostly choice and alot of it is certified angus beef. I bought a chuck roll that was CAB last month and paid $1.79/lb and it was really good. Also I don't believe there shoulder is enhanced (but do ask). I would think they would be your best bet in Madison for price. I've used Jacobson Bros which has a store here in Milwaukee which has very nice meats but a bit too pricey. If you find a good line on Brisket that is choice and reasonable be sure to let me know as I get to Madison a fair bit of the time.

At some point when you have some freezer space to fill make the run to Chicago's peoria packing as it really was the place for reasonable pork that was very good!!

Troy,
While I'm a member at Costco, I've found better prices at local chain grocery stores when they put it on sale. within the past month I've bought baby backs for $2.97 lb, spare ribs .97 lb and boston butts for .91 lb. I'm in piedmont North Carolina near Winston-Salem.

Smokin' Jim in NC

Troy,

Here in West Bend, WI I pay 3.75 - 3.90 for loin back ribs, 1.00 - 1.18 for pork butt, .88 - 1.15 for brisket. All at the local Super Walmart.

I generally don't like to shop there, but they consistently have cuts that other supermarkets just don't put out (brisket, pork butt, even BB's). They also carry beef ribs, picnics, etc. which I have yet to try.

Most of this I could get at the local butcher and I don't even mind the higher prices that I pay there. However, I generally don't plan far enough ahead for him to special order it for me. I'll save him for the really good steaks and roasts.

I'm also working on cultivating a relationship with a local hog farmer.

Godd luck!
Tony

My feeling is, if I have to pay $30/yr. to get my meats at half price...I will gladly do that.

I comparison shop every week and for the last several years Sam's has always come out so far ahead, that I am able to "pay" for my membership in just one trip. A case of BB's(40lbs.) at Sam's costs me $130 VS almost $200 at other local retailers.

Here are the comparison's...............

BB's......$3.22/lb. VS $5-5.89/lb.
NY Strip......$8.77/lb. VS $12-14/lb.
Filet beef......$10.86/lb. VS $17-20/lb.

Other meats...butts and briskets...the prices vary so much and there always seems to be a store that has it on sale. Sam's is not nearly as competitive on these 2 meats.

Sam's offers only Choice quality meats and their beef is just as good, and in many cases, better than the local butcher store. Also, none of their pork is injected and that alone makes it worth $30/yr.

So, pay almost double the price for meat or pay a membership fee and recoup it your first time out. Pretty easy choice for me.

WOW WOW WOW,

Once again yall amaze. Thanks for the country view on meat prices. Especially, Thanks to Tom from Milwaukee, you definitly helped with some regional aspects.

I also have a Woodman's nearby and will check them out more regularly.

Thanks all,
Troy

To Mike in Boston - I have BJ's near me and they don't have Brisket. At least not labeled that. Do they sell it by another name?

Here in CT at BJ's
Spareribs - $1.69#
Baby Back - $3.69#
Whole shoulder - $.89#

Local grocery stores are $1-3 more per lb unless on sale.

Rob

Our local chain store (Publix) is much more expensive than the small family-run butcher shop I use.
From what I remember Publix is:
BB's - $5 to $6
Spares - $3.50 to $4.50
Brisket - $3.00 +
Butts - $1.89

My family-run butcher shop is:
BB's - $3 to $4
Spares - $1.59
Brisket - he doesn't carry, but will order for me at $1.49
Butts - $.79
Fryers - $.79
One thing to note: The owner (who I've befriended) knows that I do a lot of fund raising with my BBQ, and also knows that I will ALWAYS buy from him and recommend his shop. Because of this, he will almost always give me a 20% discount (reflected above) off sticker price. Try getting that with your word and a handshake from a chain store. I always try to look out for the little guy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In the outskirts of Los Angeles...

Baby Backs --- $3.59 per pound
Spare Ribs --- $1.79 per pound
Tri Tip (Choice) --- $3.79 per pound
Brisket (Choice) --- $1.79 per pound

You got to hunt for those prices or, as with the tri-tip, by a case (30-35lbs)

Best prices around Buffalo, NY are at Sam's. The reason for the membership, really. I buy by the case, usually, toss extra cryovacs in the freezer. Just did some spares that were frozen for 6 mos, couldn't tell the difference.

Spares $1.48/lb
Butts $.69/lb
Whole pork loins $1.89/lb

Kingsford briquettes: $8.99/48 lbs

Going back tomorrow for another case of spares. It's football season.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. It seems that Sam's is the way to go for me.

I'm in Texas, the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I can get packer briskets during holiday weekends for .99 lb. I can regularly get them for $1.49 lb. I get BB's for $1.99 lb all the time. Brisket flats are a little more at $2.99 lb.

Wow! Costco is unbelievible in their pricing!

I needed some meat for the weekend for a big tailgate party...

Ready for this?

Spareribs - $1.49 PER POUND !!!

Bought 2 cases...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back