Meat Injection Syringe

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
I would like to try injecting a pork butt before smoking it. My motivation for trying this technique came from "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book" which I have just read and like a lot.

I would appeciate recommentions for a good quality meat injection syringe and an online source for buying it.

Thanks

John

BTW I found Rancher charcoal at my local Trader Joe's in Danvers, MA

I bought this one from Sur La Table and have three butt cooks under my belt using it. Always had great results.

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-M...d=1243698599&sr=1-45

This is the only one I have ever owned so I don't have anything to compare it to...so take this advice with a grain of rub
icon_smile.gif

You can get it online from Amazon.com. If you decide on this one (or any others) go through the Amazon link on the main page so TVMBB get the kick back from your purchase.

lowes usually carries nice stainless steel ones for 20 bucks this time of year. look around the turkey fryers. they are usually there.

Originally posted by John Vale:
I would like to try injecting a pork butt before smoking it. My motivation for trying this technique came from "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book" which I have just read and like a lot.

I would appeciate recommentions for a good quality meat injection syringe and an online source for buying it.

Thanks

John

BTW I found Rancher charcoal at my local Trader Joe's in Danvers, MA

what are you going to inject it with?

what are you going to inject it with?[/QUOTE]

For a whole pork shoulder, Chris Lilly suggests

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

If you want a very good professional quality injector then I would highly recommend a Dial O Matic Meat Injector, yes it's alot of money but you'll only buy it once and well worth the money and comes with 2 needles. I use this for competitions and home use and love them in each application.

I found one at BBB a couple years ago that works great...they no longer carry the one I have, but they do have others that I'm sure would do fine. I use approx 6-8oz apple juice and a splash of cider vinegar (for two 7-8lbs butts).

I was in Sears just yesterday and saw a plastic job for around seven bucks. It looked sturdy enough to try it out.It was near the lawn mower section. Mike

Originally posted by mike erdkamp:
I was in Sears just yesterday and saw a plastic job for around seven bucks. It looked sturdy enough to try it out.It was near the lawn mower section. Mike

A rather strange place for them to stock it
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
If you want a very good professional quality injector then I would highly recommend a Dial O Matic Meat Injector, yes it's alot of money but you'll only buy it once and well worth the money and comes with 2 needles. I use this for competitions and home use and love them in each application.

I bought one of these 2 years ago after going through a number of cheaper ones. If the price doesn't scare you - this will be the last one you by. Great to use, more leverage and just easier than the conventional style units.

Back