Measuring Weber Gas Grill Parts Thickness: A move from anecdotal speculation to factual investigation

Did you know in 1998 that your grill would last for 20+ years? The vintage Webers have withstood the test of time, and you are looking back in retrospect. And is it in the best interests of a company to make (and support) a grill that lasts a lifetime? Where are future sales to come from? Replacement parts? Show me anyone that chooses genuine Weber replacement parts in lieu of a lower priced alternative.
You make another great point. I didn't know my grill would last twenty years of my basically paying no attention to it other than replacing worn out parts along the way. Two summers ago I was sitting on the patio cooking something and realized that the grill was starting to look a little shabby, although it still worked great. I decided that after twenty years I deserved a new one and started to look online for a brand new Weber gas grill. On a subsequent trip to home depot I stopped to examine the new ones and I walked away unimpressed with them. It was after that I decided I would try and restore the old one. In my search for as many replacement parts as I could find, I came across this forum and joined it immediately. The advice and help I received here made my first restoration a success. I would still like to someday buy a brand new Weber grill, unfortunately what I have to compare them to may be too high a bar at this point. Perhaps if Weber decides to go back to their gas grill roots, they will make something I would like to put out on the patio.

Larry, was your Sunbeam like any of these? I did some searching, and the highest number older Sunbeam I can find is a 650.

Sunbeam with wood slats.jpg
Sunbeam Glass Front.jpg
Sunbeam 650.jpg

Bruce, you're gonna have to send me a photo of how you did those ribs on the spinner. Sounds interesting although now I have the pellet smoker as well in my arsenal.
Jon
It most resembled the top photo but was substantially larger than that one and had a large mechanical timer on the control panel. Grates were substantial on it as well. Not Dave Santana like, but for a grill of it's day really pretty decent. Not the this chrome plated wire many were installing. Honestly it was a pretty substantial grill. In retrospect I am really kinda sorry we did not take it home from the lake house after my father in law died. I think it would still be cranking out food

Hi Gerry: Yah, for some reason, Weber did not include a counterbalance system for those rotisseries. It would probably work OK with out being balanced, but it takes a lot of strain off those motors to have it at or near balanced.

Ahh now I know why you were successful and not me. You have that basket thing. I have never been able to find one either for my Wolf or my Weber. :(

Ahh now I know why you were successful and not me. You have that basket thing. I have never been able to find one either for my Wolf or my Weber. :(
It's a Viking Professional Rotisserie Basket BQRB308T. I happened to luck into one that was included with a grill I picked up. I've used it once but it takes a lot of cleanup afterwards. They don't show the spit rod so I'd hesitate to buy one from Amazon until you know it will fit your grill...mine came complete.

WE may be going to the Kalahari this coming Tuesday afternoon through Thursday AM. Only reason I am hedging is I am having some pretty serious issues with my blood glucose since I came off Ozempic. Anyway Dr wants to try a new med but cautioned me it could come with consequences from possible side effects. So I am starting it tomorrow. and if end up with side effects I may not go. I can touch base with you and let ya know. Then we can hook up say in the Dells?

Larry, was your Sunbeam like any of these? I did some searching, and the highest number older Sunbeam I can find is a 650.

View attachment 64822
I had that top Sunbeam for 20 years. I got it as a wedding gift in 1988. It used lava rocks. I had to reinforce the stand a time or 2 with some metal strapping to stop it from leaning. I gave it away when I found my first Webber at the curb about 10 years ago.

Back