Mayo to prevent sticking

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
Making fish tacos on the E6 this evening. I am finding a lot of recommendations that have you coat the fish in mayonnaise vs. oil.
Anyone try this?

Dry fish is needed to ensure no sticking. And a well oiled grate too.

A very light salt dash on your fish for 5 minutes and then wipe the moisture off the fish works, or air dry the exposed fish in the fridge for a few hours. Both methods dry the fish out well.

Then just oil your grates using tongs and a paper towel. A good coating of oil on the hot grate creates a non stick surface, like a wok or CI pan.

I don’t use mayo on my fish.

Making fish tacos on the E6 this evening. I am finding a lot of recommendations that have you coat the fish in mayonnaise vs. oil.
Anyone try this?

Mayo can almost be used as a butter replacement as it is pretty well 100% fat....so, yes, it will prevent sticking and also promote browning etc. It just sticks better to the food! Works really well with grilled cheese too (instead of buttering the bread).

Mayo can almost be used as a butter replacement as it is pretty well 100% fat....so, yes, it will prevent sticking and also promote browning etc. It just sticks better to the food! Works really well with grilled cheese too (instead of buttering the bread).

Yup. Slathering mayo on a roasted turkey turns out really great. Don't laugh -- Thomas Keller (of French Laundry) swears by it.

I haven't, but I'll look forward to your results. I might give it a try too. I have some Tilapia, but it is very fragile.

Might work better on salmon or halibut.

I haven't, but I'll look forward to your results. I might give it a try too. I have some Tilapia, but it is very fragile.

Might work better on salmon or halibut.
i have used my methods above with success using swai, which is white and flaky like tilapia. Key is DRY fish and oiled grates. high temps cook the fish quickly without burning it. thin fillets, like swai ot tilapia will grill very fast and maintain their shape. you can always cut you fish down to your spatula's size so your fish won't break in half on the flip or removal.

i have used my methods above with success using swai, which is white and flaky like tilapia. Key is DRY fish and oiled grates. high temps cook the fish quickly without burning it. thin fillets, like swai ot tilapia will grill very fast and maintain their shape. you can always cut you fish down to your spatula's size so your fish won't break in half on the flip or removal.
I usually do as you describe but the mayo is something different I discovered and I want to give it a try.
To your point, dry is the key.

I usually do as you describe but the mayo is something different I discovered and I want to give it a try.
To your point, dry is the key.
please post your mayo feedback. i've avoided it because i don't like the taste of retail mayo except Kewpie, which is too expensive to burn up on the grill. for eating, though, Kewpie is pretty bomb. it makes a great tuna or salmon poke dressing, along with other ingredients.

I tried it too. Wasn't planning for tacos de pescado, but I was on my own for dinner tonight so why not give it a go.

Pulled the tilapia out of the freezer a few hours ago. Slathered on some best foods.

20220517_184823.jpg

Hit it heavy with Stubbs chili lime and made some deconstructed Pico de Guac. Green salsa was in the picture but didn't join the party.

20220517_190835.jpg
E330 Lit the Lazarri mesquite and was my prep table. I brought out some CI just in case.

20220517_191248.jpg

20220517_191123.jpg
First flip didn't stick!!!

20220517_191345.jpg

20220517_191511_06.jpg

20220517_192117.jpg

I added some onion after the pic.
20220517_192312.jpg

I tried it too. Wasn't planning for tacos de pescado, but I was on my own for dinner tonight so why not give it a go.

Pulled the tilapia out of the freezer a few hours ago. Slathered on some best foods.

View attachment 50900

Hit it heavy with Stubbs chili lime and made some deconstructed Pico de Guac. Green salsa was in the picture but didn't join the party.

View attachment 50901
E330 Lit the Lazarri mesquite and was my prep table. I brought out some CI just in case.

View attachment 50905

View attachment 50907
First flip didn't stick!!!

View attachment 50908

View attachment 50909

View attachment 50910

I added some onion after the pic.
View attachment 50914
Taco 🌮 Tuesday! Muy bueno!

@Mark Foreman thanks for sharing the tip for using mayo. It didn't stick and I did not taste any mayo.

SS was clean and hot and there was not any hint of sticktion.

Back