Maximizing two zone real estate on the WSK

That's EXACTLY what I do, but over the SNS.

The burger technique... I love it. We prefer them a bit more rare, but all the same.
Again, the lid position is what I would have done.

Thermapen instant read is what I use as well.

This trench you create is the runway setup @Brett-EDH uses.

I've never considered moving the charcoal grate to the lower position for other than a real low and slow. My brain is programmed for cooking times with the higher heat and it would be a chore relearning the times if I made that big of an adjustment.

I use a larger charcoal grate when using the Vortex.. I can't remember which size but I suspect it's from a 22. It is positioned between the WSKs upper and lower charcoal grate position and puts the Vortex in a much more controllable distance from the cooking grate.

I don't have issue with lower temps on the WSK. Yes, the water res helps stabilize. I love the SNS but can't lie.. I am feeling liberated by the ideas above.

Absolutely considered this. But with three CBs in inventory I never took action.

Again.. this is what I do as well. Only I do it in the SNS. Anything more than half a dozen briqs will be a runaway and any attempts at getting temps back down will be futile.

BTW.. I love Nathan dogs but they MUST be cooked on a flattop for authenticity! No flattop in my future, but a I do have a CI griddle! Geez..I;m drooling a little.
so why the SNS?

to me, it takes up too much real estate and doesn't make the grill hotter.

hotter cooks are usually faster cooks so you don't need as much fuel as the SNS holds vs the CBs.

what are you gaining by using the SNS and not CBs and or the lower coal grate position for direct but more managed cooks (like a tri tip over direct coal/wood splits but with managed temps?

so why the SNS?

to me, it takes up too much real estate and doesn't make the grill hotter.

hotter cooks are usually faster cooks so you don't need as much fuel as the SNS holds vs the CBs.

what are you gaining by using the SNS and not CBs and or the lower coal grate position for direct but more managed cooks (like a tri tip over direct coal/wood splits but with managed temps?

I'm not convinced I am gaining anything critical with the SNS, Generally, I use the SNS for few reasons I can think of...

If I am bing completely honest.. justification? I spent the bucks on it, I modified it to work with the WSK, I have it and couldn't think of a reason not use it.

Because that's what I've always done? Every hot n fast cook I have done with the exception of those where the Vortex was used have been over the SNS. So, I've always done it that way. (Why Did Grandma Cut the Ends of the Ham?)

I can produce some good cooks. But I'm no expert. I have some habits that work but lack the higher level skills to move away from those habits and be more spontaneous and flexible.

I am a little anal retentive. There I said it. I like how the SNS form-fits to inside of the WSK. It's orderly. Measurable. The CBs by contrast, don't fit so well (neatly?). Why is that important? I have no idea. If you recall my first post in this thread I am (was?) looking for a larger hot side. The dead space around the CBs when they are against the side feels like I am creating less a consistent and smaller hot side.

All this said, I like your suggestions and am going to use them. The SNS is going in the gear closet for a bit. Baptism by fire.. figuratively and literally.

Maybe not the lower grate position for hot cooks. Not sure why. Just not mentally ready to try that.

I'm not convinced I am gaining anything critical with the SNS, Generally, I use the SNS for few reasons I can think of...

If I am bing completely honest.. justification? I spent the bucks on it, I modified it to work with the WSK, I have it and couldn't think of a reason not use it.

Because that's what I've always done? Every hot n fast cook I have done with the exception of those where the Vortex was used have been over the SNS. So, I've always done it that way. (Why Did Grandma Cut the Ends of the Ham?)

I can produce some good cooks. But I'm no expert. I have some habits that work but lack the higher level skills to move away from those habits and be more spontaneous and flexible.

I am a little anal retentive. There I said it. I like how the SNS form-fits to inside of the WSK. It's orderly. Measurable. The CBs by contrast, don't fit so well (neatly?). Why is that important? I have no idea. If you recall my first post in this thread I am (was?) looking for a larger hot side. The dead space around the CBs when they are against the side feels like I am creating less a consistent and smaller hot side.

All this said, I like your suggestions and am going to use them. The SNS is going in the gear closet for a bit. Baptism by fire.. figuratively and literally.

Maybe not the lower grate position for hot cooks. Not sure why. Just not mentally ready to try that.
Honest assessment. Carry on and cook! Excited to watch your progress.

I think you’ll do just fine. Give yourself more credit. You’ve made it this far.

Only light 4-5 briqs and place them into the CBs and choke down the air inlet at the bottom. That’ll keep low temps when using coal on the upper grate.

If you’re lighting a full chimney and then choking down the inlet air, you’re not going to get less than 275/300°. It’s just too many lit coals to choke down.
This is the method I use when I want to do lower and slower, but I always had a problem getting the coals up to high heat after the low and slow when I need to reverse sear. Do you have any tips for that, or do you just open up all vents and take 10-15 minutes for it to get up to temp?

This is the method I use when I want to do lower and slower, but I always had a problem getting the coals up to high heat after the low and slow when I need to reverse sear. Do you have any tips for that, or do you just open up all vents and take 10-15 minutes for it to get up to temp?
Yes, just open the bottom to full and the top flipped up to rapid. I also had JD lump behind the briqs and lump burns much hotter than briqs.

Yes, just open the bottom to full and the top flipped up to rapid. I also had JD lump behind the briqs and lump burns much hotter than briqs.
Thanks!! I forgot to ask, but you let it get up to temp lid down and vents open as opposed to bottom vent open and lid up?

Thanks!! I forgot to ask, but you let it get up to temp lid down and vents open as opposed to bottom vent open and lid up?
upper bowl lid down, rapid vent lifted up fully, lower sweep vent to full open (fire symbol on sweep ring). this setup allows air to flow into and through the cooking chamber as the coals suck up the needed air from below and the unlit coals will ignite and give you that hot searing temp.

i use my apple watch and set a lot of timers when cooking so i can be aware of what i am doing. often i will run two to three timers concurrently across different devices when concurrently cooking a meal; stovetop, oven and grill. timing is key to making this all work.

for example, on ordinary cooks on the wsk, my chimney heat up is 10 minutes, then dump the lit coals into CBs. set grate for cooking (CI sear grate or rod grade), cover grill and preheat grill for 10 minutes. then scrape off the grates and lay proteins down.

my fire "starters" are rendered beef fat that i keep in the fridge and then make 2-3 napkins or paper towels with a heaping tablespoon of the tallow wrapped in the napkin(s) and i have a butane torch which i start my fire with by lighting this wick. success rate is 100% at this stage and this is my goto method. even for LAS cooks, i'll drop a loaded wick onto the lower grate loaded with briqs/coal and light the front of the mound and button up the grill to start LAS temps.

the WSK is a very easy grill to use and master. it's very precise and consistent. i have come to fully enjoy cooking on it and guests continue to offer up rave reviews of meals cooked.

Last edited:
That must of been quite a fight cutting the stainless sns to fit under the cooking grate. I bought one of sns charcoal baskets to use in the WSK. Much larger than the cb that come with the WSK. Only have to foil one side for easy cleanup.

Parked permanently inside my Weber Performer Deluxe and Weber Master Touch grills are the excellent SNS Deluxes. I felt that both of these grill babies deserved the best!

Attachments

• 8671AD40-976F-4EE0-AFEF-F08B18433052.jpeg
    8671AD40-976F-4EE0-AFEF-F08B18433052.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 1

Back