Maverick Tip Top-Temp Grill Temperature Regulator 19.99 w/fs Usually $30

My advice would be go 50-60 briquettes and crack the bottom maybe just a touch. I just put mine away for the weekend. Will be doing two butts using my old method on the performer, can't have a failure for this party, the tip top needs more practice than I have had time for yet, doggone it!

My advice would be go 50-60 briquettes and crack the bottom maybe just a touch. I just put mine away for the weekend. Will be doing two butts using my old method on the performer, can't have a failure for this party, the tip top needs more practice than I have had time for yet, doggone it!

I've got a rack of SL ribs I'm going to experiment with the performer before I plop down my brisket. Id do the brisky on the 18.5 WSM but it's 23-24" long and I don't want to cut it If I can avoid it.

I did two racks, first run and they were very well recieved! Had I done the larger briquette load, I don't think a brisket might be out of the question. I might do that for a later cook, maybe fall? My brother has a big WSM, we talked about temp control for the ribs and he thought it was not an unreasonable task. Size would be a consideration though, I agree.

I ordered one for use on my performer, but it won't fit over the plastic vent tab. I have several other kettles, so I'll just try it with another lid.

I ordered one for use on my performer, but it won't fit over the plastic vent tab. I have several other kettles, so I'll just try it with another lid.

From the photo's I've seen, you sit it inside the plastic tab.

2i2akhj.jpg

Not sure how good a seal it will provide though.

My performer is the older style with the vent to the side and therm through the handle. Not enough room between the vent and where the handle meets the lid for the device to have a smooth surface to sit on--it rides both on the vent and the ridge of the handle.

I get how this device works but I am struggling with the instructions in the manual on closing the bottom vent and only using the top vent with the tip top.

Back