Maverick probe wires under lid on 22.5 WSM

Andy Beers

TVWBB Diamond Member
Just woundering if anyone else has put there maverick probe wires under the lit and if it hurts the wires, does it cause more air leakage from the hood. I want to use my new maverick but don't want to break the probe wires,I really don't want to drill holes in my new smoker for grommets but I would if it is a must, Please let me know what you do

Thanks in advance

I run the probe wires for both my ATC and my Maverick with no problems, either with air leakage or damage to the wires. I know some people run the wires in through the lid vent; that's ok if you are not opening the lid very often.

Just be gentle when you place the lid on.. Don't slam it. Over 3yrs with the food probe run that-way and no prob. Smoker probe I hang in the top vent.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Did that for a long time. Eventually the ones that ship with the unit will fail depending. If you then move to the heavier duty ones they sell as an option (check your manual, give them a call) for $20 will hold up better.

In the long run it's better to add eyelets to take them through direct rather than have them under the lid.

Yea I missed the part where you have the 22.5" WSM.
I have the 18.5" and I only use the remote for temps in the winter.
If you're planning to use the Mav for every cook and adding in the extra weight of the Big Boy lid than the grommets are prolly a safe bet in the long run.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

No problem under the lid for 2 years and I'm not gentle. If it breaks, it's broke. You won't have to worry about false readings.

Back