Maverick is tops !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffr Hode

TVWBB Fan
I just wanted to post a quick note about Maverick. I purchased my smoker a few weeks ago and after reading the comments on this board about the Maverick ET-73 I decided this was the way to go since I could check my temps at bedside when cooking overnight. The thermometer was callibrated fine, but the remote receiver would lose contact with the base everytime I lost sight of the smoker.....in other words if I couldn't see it the receiver couldn't pick up the signal, even at 15 feet away. I called up Maverick and they were very nice and sent me a new receiver that I had in 3 days ! They asked where I bought it so they could recall these boxes to be checked and asked that I use it ASAP and report to their head engineer with any other problems.

I don't have any experience with other brand thermometers, but they handled this problem very professionally and looked for ways to avoid having it happen again.

BTW : The new receiver works great /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jeff

I think there was one batch from the factory that was bad. The Gadget Source, where many of us got ours, was out for a while due to some problems. I have two - I got them when they first came out, and they've never given me any trouble at all.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Where is the best place to buy the et-73? Is there a link to the Gadget Source that will benifit this site? I think it's time to take the jump. I bought a weber remote thermometer recently and though it does just what it said it does, I don't like the preset temps.

Mike

The ET-73 almost makes it too easy. Mine can pick up a signal sitting right outside the bedroom door. Makes for a good nites sleep! I would have to list it as a "must have" accessory for the WSM.

Ed

I spoke too soon. I tried the thermometer through a couple of rooms in the house and it worked fine, but once I placed it outside next to the smoker I have trouble receiving the signal again.
It seems like the transmitter is only updating every few minutes...I seem to remember every 5 seconds in the ad. How often does anybody elses receiver update and change (or flash the little dish icon).

Jeff

Jeff, I don't have the Maverick, but I do have a Nu-Temp. Mine only transmits when the temp changes thus saving the battery. Other models work the same way...Not sure about the Maverick though. HTH

Blargh! I told my wife I wanted wanted th ET-73 and she promptly went out and got me the ET-72. Paid the same price, only a single probe without a low limit alarm. Oh well, I guess I should be glad I finally got a wireless anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeffr hode:
It seems like the transmitter is only updating every few minutes...I seem to remember every 5 seconds in the ad. How often does anybody elses receiver update and change (or flash the little dish icon).

Jeff <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The maverick only updates if there is something to update. So after your temps settle down, you will only see the little blip on the remote timer if there is a temperature change to be reported. Going for minutes without an update is normal.

Ok, all you Maverick owners, I've got a question for you. After struggling with my remote Polder all night with it's little stand, I was wondering if the hanger on the Maverick really works. I'm sure there's an easy way to deal with the Polder, but I sure haven't been able to figure it out. The stupid thing keeps sliding off the lid, no matter how I position it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gifIt could be the sleep deprivation from my first overnight cook. I've got two of the Taylor digital oven thermometers which are magnetized and stay put. Is the hanger ok, or will I have to rig it so it stays in place?

Set up a table next to the smoker, or attach a big C-clamp to the WSM handle and hang the transmitter on the C clamp. There are two C-clamps on the handle below - a magnetized Polder is stuck to one, and the ET-73 is hanging on the other.

mvc-393F.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back