Maverick ET-733 Wireless Thermometer - Is it worth it?

Sam Dean

my Maverick ET732 Wireless Thermometer has burned out after 2 years and I went to amazon to find another unit. i came across this supposedly UPGRADED ET733 version

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FM8DJHQ/tvwb-20

these are the features that's advertised as upgraded

The ET-733 features a larger screen and displays both the target-high and target-low temperatures. Two probes* are included to monitor two individual things at the same time: 1 food and 1 BBQ; 2 individual foods; or 2 separate BBQs. The new larger screen displays both temperatures all the time. Setting target temperatures is even easier, with NEW preset temperatures for 6 meats and 9 game meats (Beef, Veal, Lamb, Pork, Chicken & Turkey Deer, Elk, Moose, Buffalo, Rabbit Boar, Duck, Bird & Fish).

Whats interesting to me is that the 732 has better reviews and is cheaper.

Has anyone Purchased the 733? is it worth the extra $10 - please help me decide what to purchase.

thank you

I've used the ET733 for several years and really like it. Having two probes lets you monitor the temperature at the grill as well as the internal temperature of what you're cooking. It's a great feature. definatley worth the extra $10.

I've used the ET733 for several years and really like it. Having two probes lets you monitor the temperature at the grill as well as the internal temperature of what you're cooking. It's a great feature. definatley worth the extra $10.

the 733 has only been released a few months ago, you mean that you are using the 732 for years???

I have the ET732 and it has two probes also, correct? I know that I have two probes and I think my model is the 732.

the 733 has only been released a few months ago, you mean that you are using the 732 for years???

Cripes. I'm a spaz today. Yea, I've been using the the 732. for some strange reason I thought he was refering to a single probe maverick (If there is even such a thing).

-pay no attention to me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....:confused:

I have the 731 and the 732, not sure I'll be upgrading to the 733. All the bells and whistles arent necessary, to me. I upgraded from the 731 because the range was aweful. The 732 does everything I need. Not sure a suggestion on cooking temps for a wild yak shoulder is really needed.

I was all into getting the 733 but then Amazon put the 732 on special for $44-something, free ship.
Others got them with Bear Paws for $37-something in that same time frame (3-4 weeks ago).

So I have the 732 now....couldn't pass up that deal.
Keep an eye on Amazon, they are liable to put them on again.

Judging from user feedback, do not get the model 72 or 73.
Get the 732 or 733 instead.

Last edited:
I recently got a 733, it was only $5 more and I need the bigger screen.
Range is MUCH better than my old 73 and so far is better than my iGrill.
I like the dual purpose probes so I can monitor both the 18.5" and 22.5" overnight with alarms, although I worry the alarm may not be loud enough to wake me. The same probes can be used to monitor 2 meats, or one pit and one meat. I don't know if the 732 will do that as I was set on the 733 for the aforementioned larger screen.

Have used the 733 three (3) times. The larger screen was one selling point. The color being black was a side issue; however, does not show the dirt as bad. The only issue is to change meat type, the set
button does not always work unless many tries. The dual probes are a plus. I like mine, but never owned an earlier model Maverick.

I went from an et-7 to a 733. World of difference. I got it w amazon gc's (and supported the bullet!) so it was free, but I would absolutely buy it outright. So much I'm going to buy another one just so I can use one just for my pit. One up top and one down low. My alarm woke me up when it needed to. I love the 733!

I've had the 733 for a few weeks now and have used it 3 times so far. Tho I don't have anything to really compare it to other than an old kitchen thermometer that I used to use before it burnt out, I must say that I really like it. I can go a few rooms away with several walls in the way and it'll stay in sync. I did have one problem when the alarm sounded before the temperature was out of range. I can't remember if it was the meat or the BBQ, but I turned it off then back on and everything was fine. Also I got $50 off by applying for an amazon card. I didn't think I was going to get approved but when I did, I clicked buy before they changed their mind lol

My 732 died last year and I ordered the 733 last weekend. Should be here today. The 732 was fine but the range was lacking for me. I'm hoping the advertised range of the 733 works better. I don't need a lot of the toys, just the 2 probe temps and the hi/lo alarms. Amazon had them on sale so it worked out well.

I have a Stoker but the Maverick works well when I don't want to go the full on Stoker route.

Last edited:
Have used the 733 three (3) times. The larger screen was one selling point. The color being black was a side issue; however, does not show the dirt as bad. The only issue is to change meat type, the set
button does not always work unless many tries. The dual probes are a plus. I like mine, but never owned an earlier model Maverick.

thank you, i do see it available in white here FYI http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FM8DJHQ/tvwb-20

I have had the 733 for 3 months now. Use it on every cook even if I don't use it as a meat probe. Works great. It seems mine gives me a warning alarm when I am 10* from the temp I set. Not sure if it is supposed to do that or if mine is a little weird. But I don't mind...

I also have used the 733 a few times, but had some maids come clean my pad and the directions disappeared, trying to get it to work the first time by myself was pure torture.
Thanks to a youtube video the problem was solved, but i still wish i could have read the directions once instead of hitting pause on the youtube video.

The 733 is my first, but has changed the game of smoking/BBQinng for me for the better.

Just ordered the 733. I had an Oregon break on me. I am looking forward to the dual probes.

Used my new 733 on a pork loin roast Tuesday in the oven. Like the 732, the steps to set things aren't that simple. Noticeable difference is that both probes are pointed so you can use it to monitor 2 meats vs. the pointed and blunt probes that came with the 732 that gave you one meat one defined cooker.

Range was great. I used to lose signal from my backyard smoker to my front yard porch. Tested from my back lawn to the sidewalk in front of my house without losing signal. It also has a lost signal alarm which I haven't hit yet.

For accuracy, when doing my pork roast, I checked the meat probe temp against a Polder digital. Was within 1 degree F.

The 3' probe wires were a little tight in the oven but should be fine when placed next to my smoker. The receiver has a large enough readout that I don't need my reading glasses (huge plus for a 40+ year old). Alarm on/off is one touch, but you need to master the number of beeps to identify which setting the alarm is identifying.

Overall, no issues. Comes with 4 AAA batteries. Fun little gadget. Looking forward to using it on a beef roast (oh, it has a number of less than mainstream meat options in it's memory and you can customize their settings if you want). I've never really used this option on the 732 and probably wont on the 733.

Only con, the receiver feels a little flimsy compared to the rest of the parts.

Back