Maverick ET 73 ??

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
Were do you guys hang the unit to keep it away from the smoker so as not to melt it ? The probe wires are kina short to get to any table I have and I don't wana dangle it . and what about the wires coming out the side if the lid won't that let in to much air ???

I have a new one for tommrows all nighter and just can't figure out were to set the unit coming out of the smoker . HELP

Reverse the wire stand and use it as a hook on the md-section. when you place the lid on it will push the ET 73 away from the body about 2"
HTH

Tim

Guy I normally just hang it off the side where the lid sits. I have not had an issue with it melting. I sometimes use a 6 foot table(from menards) when I do my cooks so I don't have to set things on the ground. (<<<<<<<getting old and lazy)This is another place I will set it as well. My only complaint is the distance advertised is not exactly correct. But that is another topic!

DSCF0003-21.jpg

DSCF0002-21.jpg

I purchased the longer wires, 2 for $25. I set the receiver on a tv tray or a shelf near the smoker. I go through the top vents, with the loner wires no prob.

chickenfattietritip006.jpg

kettleconversionporkbutt007.jpg

Mark

I used to do as Vince shows above ... mount the ET on the top rim of the midsection and when the lid is put on it pushes the ET out away from the body. No heat issues at all. BUT ... be careful when lifting the lid as sometimes the ET tries to 'spring' away.

Later, I got a small prep table to sit between my 2 WSM's and sat the units on it.

Reverse the wire stand and use it as a hook on the md-section. when you place the lid on it will push the ET 73 away from the body about 2"
I also loosely twist a length of aluminum foil around the ET, as a barrier. Twist one end onto the wire stand.

i just got my oregon scientific wireless bbq thermometer in the mail the other day but have not used it yet. how does this compare to the maverick et73?

Travis makes an excellent point, as sometimes the ET-73 will stick to the lid, as you remove it..
I usually run in the 300> 350 range, and I've never had a problem with this set-up, in over 2 yrs.

Tim

Thanks guys I reversed that clip and hung it and its fine ! Only problem I see with the Maverick 73 is it has like NO range . To bad I was hoping to keep it by the bed while I slept but it won't pick a signal up from there o well . It is better than having to open the lid thou to ck temps .

Guy, your experience and mine on range matched. I could only get about six feet away with mine.

I finally bit the bullet and went with a CyberQ so that I could sleep and it would wake me up with a text message if there was an alarm condition (High, low pit, or meat done).

Better yet in addition it maintains the pit tempature so I don't really ever get woken up.

Guy, cheap solution. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot. Ask for a 6" gutter hanger. One end clips on the rim of the WSM the other end has a hole in it. Slip a wire tie through the hole and the clip of the ET73 and voila. Down side is every time you remove the lid you have to watch the hangar.

Only problem I see with the Maverick 73 is it has like NO range
I'm surprised at that. I know Maverick claims 100 ft range, and that most people say they only get 1/2 of that. Too many walls between you and the smoker can be a problem too. I'd call Maverick if there is zero range -- I leave the receiver by my bed, about 35 feet from the WSM and it works fine.

I read all the negative reviews of the receiver distance. I have found mine to be excelent. I was at least 100 ft away at a neighbors yesterday, no prob. There is a fix to extend range that I have read, I don't need it, guess that I am lucky.

Mine gets about 30 or 40 ft as long as its line of site . If I move anyplace with a wall between it it drops right out be it 10 ft or 30 ft . I can set it in a window thru glass looking at the smoker and it a receive it if I point it just right . I really expected more .

But for me the meat prob temp is worth it so I don't have to open the lid to test so much at the end of a smoke or foiling time . saved me a lot a crapola this morning when I foiled my brisket . It is what it is a cheap wireless unit . If one can call what $40.00 I think cheap . would I recomend it yes for a limited type use would I buy another probaly not . Someone a come out with a decent one with good range sooner or later at a decent affordable price IMHO .If the receive and transmit was up to snuff I would a piad triple that for it .

I have a small table that sits right next to my WSM that I put the transmitter on. Also, they have 6ft replacement probes if length is an issue.

If you do the garage door handle addition (which I think is a must have anyway) and reverse the clip on the sender, the handle can keep it from touching the smoker body
5.jpg

Back