Maverick ET - 73 -- Not registering transmitter

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I just dug out my old Maverick -- probably 5 years old. New batteries. Everything seems to be working, except the receiver is not picking up the signal. The units are right next to each other. Any ideas?

(I've never liked this thing.)

Yeah, i've tried turning the transmitter on and off and pushing the tx button.

When I turn on the receiving unit, I get three beeps. Is this right? The instructions don't mention any beeps when turning on the receiver.

Yeah, i've tried turning the transmitter on and off and pushing the tx button.

When I turn on the receiving unit, I get three beeps. Is this right? The instructions don't mention any beeps when turning on the receiver.

I know mine beeps when it pairs but not sure if its more than 1 beep. Unfortunately I`m not at the house where its at to pull it out and check to see.

I just dug out my old Maverick -- probably 5 years old. New batteries. Everything seems to be working, except the receiver is not picking up the signal. The units are right next to each other. Any ideas?
(I've never liked this thing.)
LOL. I've had one for six years and think it's fantastic. Maybe lame, but are you switching the receiver on then the transmitter? You should get beeps, I think 3, then a short pause, then a final beep signifying they are in sync

I've tried both. Receiver first, transmitter first. The little sattelite dish icons are flashing, but i'm still getting the three dashes on the receiver.

And now my receiver unit is turning on by itself. I think it's time to move forward to the ET733 or perhaps a new brand.

It is receiver (remote unit) then transmitter (end with probes). Sounds like it's time for a new one. BTW I'm still using an ET-73. Mine is at least that old. Been waiting for it to die or for someone in my family to give me a replacement as a present (hint).

I turn on the mother unit first wait 30 sec then turn on the probe unit. But.if both probes are bad then your out of luck.

My old pit probe is still working fine, but the meat probe quit after about 5 uses. Because of the little rubber gaskets on the Tx, some other probes don't make sufficient contact to transmit. I'd guess a probe issue.

Depending on where the Maverick was stored, it may have got some moisture build-up inside. This happened to me when I left mine in a patio storage chest last winter.

Try this.... remove the batteries of both units. Using a q-tip and some denatured alcohol, wipe all of the battery contacts clean. Then, with battery plates off, place both the transmitter and receiver a large bowl filled with white rice, ensuring both units are completely covered with rice. Cover the bowl with a towel and leave them there for 3-4 days. The rice draws the moisture from the units. Reassemble the units (new batteries), making sure there are no errant grains of rice left in either unit.

If that doesn't work, Amazon frequently has the Maverick's on sale. I bought a back-up set (ET-732) about four months ago for $39.

The transmitter unit seems to be registering the temperature (although I'm not sure it's accurate). I'm just not getting the wireless connection to the receiver. I don't think it's a probe issue.

Sometimes I forget and trun on my transtmitter before I turn on the receiver. The manual says to turn on the receiver first. I equate it to football....you have to have an open reciever before you throw the pass.

Back