Maverick et-73 mod

I must be lucky. I have had no trouble with my ET-7 or my ET-73. Range has been good and never had a probe short out. Also have the new 6' probes and haven't had any problems with them either. I'm knocking on a wood chunk as I type!!!

Jim,
I just got mine (ET-73) last week from Amazon and it came with the standard shorter probes. Where did you get the 6 foot probes?? I also see it is now more expensive on Amazon. Is this a new model??

BTW I did a chuck roast on Sunday...I really enjoy not having to go outside to check the temps. Unit worked great!

Originally posted by John Slack:
Has anyone used the OS AW131 to measure grate temps? I would assume it could be used with a potato as the probe holder. Buying two units, one for meat temp and the other for grate temps would be no problem if the units are high quality and reliable.

John

I've been doing it for about three months now. Before that I used the potato trick with my Taylor thermos.

The OS AW131 is very heavy duty and well built. For example, the probe cable is about twice as heavy as the Mav. I'm not sure of the length, but I'd guess it's about 5 feet.

Tim

Don,

Go to their website....maverickhousewares.com

Look under "Parts" and find the link for "digital thermometer parts". It's a PDF order form; it will show the 6' probes. These are only meat probes however...I use them with my ET-7 when I smoke 4 butts at a time. They mave have a 6' smoker probe...give them a call. Their number is on the site as well.

Maverick told me that I could use a meat probe as a cooker probe with no problem.

So I do
icon_smile.gif

Anybody have any recent info and recent pics of the external antenna mod. I got kind of lost and confused in all this. Also some of the pics wouldn't show up. I just got my ET-73 in and the range is no so good.

Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
Anybody have any recent info and recent pics of the external antenna mod. I got kind of lost and confused in all this. Also some of the pics wouldn't show up. I just got my ET-73 in and the range is no so good.

Steve,

Here's the link from page two of this thread. It shows the location of the hole for your wire.

http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/Maverick/et-73.jpg

I used a wire that came with my invisible fence. Fits the hole perfect. Cut a notch in the case between the upper right screw and circuit board, when viewing from the back, and clamped it back down. No solder. Increased my range by 75-100 ft and through several walls. The wire sticks out 6 5/8" from the case.

Recieved my ET-73 last week, and after one try on my WSM had the same results as first posted June 2005. Inspite of Maverick says, the problem remains the same. So, I'm going to make the mods as suggested on the previous 11
pages and save the postage.
And does anyone else have a problem with the off-on switch of either unit? A push button switch would be nice.

dick b

I honestly do no for the life of me understand why all of you go to the extremes that you do to try and make a silk purse from the sow's ear of a thermometer known as the Maverick ET-73.

Everything about the unit reeks of cheap, and even if you do get decent range out of it (which I doubt you will) it will still just be a cheap piece of junk at best. Cheap switches that are hard to get at and break easily, no alarm, either visual or audible, to let you know if you have gone out of range; cheap, short probes and cables, and to top it off, a company that lies and won't stand behind their product.

The concept of a unit that will monitor temp range is a good one, but this is not the unit.

If you want a well made wireless remote thermometer, buy one of these http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=18&scid=71&pid=763
The range is a realistic 1000 ft and it will go through walls etc. It will let you know if you are out of range, and if you do stray out of range, you don't have to reset anything. All switches are heavy duty, and you don't have to take anything apart to use it. The probes have a finger loop for easy removal and the cables are easily twice as heavy as the Maverick. I can't say for sure, but I believe they are longer as well. The large display is easy to read and backlit. It talks in several languages but I never use that feature. It has a separate timer that will count up or down and it will run even while monitoring temps.

Best of all the manufacturer will stand behind their product.

I just really find it hard to believe that anyone would buy a Maverick anything after having read any part of this thread.

As a civic duty, I would like to warn all poeple that are considering buying one of these thermometers............DON'T!!!!!

Originally posted by Tim Dickey:
I honestly do no for the life of me understand why all of you go to the extremes that you do to try and make a silk purse from the sow's ear of a thermometer known as the Maverick ET-73.

Everything about the unit reeks of cheap, and even if you do get decent range out of it (which I doubt you will) it will still just be a cheap piece of junk at best. Cheap switches that are hard to get at and break easily, no alarm, either visual or audible, to let you know if you have gone out of range; cheap, short probes and cables, and to top it off, a company that lies and won't stand behind their product.

The concept of a unit that will monitor temp range is a good one, but this is not the unit.

If you want a well made wireless remote thermometer, buy one of these http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=18&scid=71&pid=763
The range is a realistic 1000 ft and it will go through walls etc. It will let you know if you are out of range, and if you do stray out of range, you don't have to reset anything. All switches are heavy duty, and you don't have to take anything apart to use it. The probes have a finger loop for easy removal and the cables are easily twice as heavy as the Maverick. I can't say for sure, but I believe they are longer as well. The large display is easy to read and backlit. It talks in several languages but I never use that feature. It has a separate timer that will count up or down and it will run even while monitoring temps.

Best of all the manufacturer will stand behind their product.

I just really find it hard to believe that anyone would buy a Maverick anything after having read any part of this thread.

As a civic duty, I would like to warn all poeple that are considering buying one of these thermometers............DON'T!!!!!

The ET 73 does everything I want it to do, except have the range it advertises.

Dual Probes, which you can set min/max temps for both smoker and grate, alarms, timers, etc...

the Maverick would be the perfect unit if I could just get it to the advertised range. i don't mind the shoddy construction if the range was there...

Originally posted by Tim Dickey:
Everything about the unit reeks of cheap, and even if you do get decent range out of it (which I doubt you will) it will still just be a cheap piece of junk at best.

Agree that the Mav is cheaply made but that explains the lower cost. Like JeremyC, the features of the Mav are why I use one. The range is adequate for me to use at home. It does occasionally lose the connection which I hate. Customer service is great though. I had both probes go bad and they sent me brand new ones for no charge and no questions asked.

If the Oregon Sci model had dual probes, one for pit and the other for food, I would buy one right now. I really don't need the voice or the programmable meat features. I would much prefer Oregon make a dual-probe model (with alarms) and the range (and notification of lost signal) of the present model but no programmable meats or voices.

All the best,
Tom

The dual probes aren't an issue to me. I'd rather have a separate thermo for the pit and one for meat. I currently have 6 of the oregon Scientific units.

The only thing I'd like to see from them is a temp range feature.

Tim,

It sounds like the units do not interfere with each other, is that correct? If I had could two units going at one time, I could effectively replace my Mav (assuming I can use one probe in the meat and the other in the pit.)

All the best,
Tom

I can't speak for the Maverick, but the Oregon Scientifics have never given me a problem. I do have to keep them numbered though so that the base is particular to the receiver.

I sent my Maverick back after having to threaten to put the charges into contest. They said they would fix it but instead sent me someone else's broken unit and then didn't want to give me my money back.

I personally have no use at all for Maverick as a company or their merchandise.

On the Oregon Scientific thermometer, can you fit the meat probe through the holes created by a BBQ Guru grommet? Appearances would make me think that the loop in the meat probe would make that impossible.

I just can't believe no one has come out with something that rivals the Maverick in features that actually does what it claims to do. If the Maverick had none of the range issues, and went through walls up to 100ft, I would love it. It would be perfect.

Is it really that hard to perfect ? They are 90% there, they need to fix it!

The Maverick claims it's transmitter (not the receiver) is water proof. My Maverick transmitter has sat out in the rain many times, no problem. The OS model doesn't appear to state anywhere that it is even water resistant.

Personally, I'd have a hard time spending so much extra on two OS units when they don't claim water resistance.

Despite my own experience with lost connections and range issues Maverick still gets my vote for best bang for the buck in the wireless BBQ remote therm category.

I'm not familiar with the Guru grommet. I use my Gurus with Backwoods Smokers and just close the door on the cables.

On My Vertical drum smoker, I drilled a 1/4" hole and insert the plug end of the cable through. No reason you couldn't do the same with the vent on a WSM is there?

Back