Mastertouch and OTG differences?

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
Cut me some slack here and don't call me a dummy....but what are the differences between a Mastertouch model and a OTG model?

Is it only the slide along lid holder on the bowl? I've got an EO stamped green kettle I picked up that has the slide along lid holder and ash catcher and was wondering if it is a Mastertouch or just a regular OTG.

Cut me some slack here and don't call me a dummy....but what are the differences between a Mastertouch model and a OTG model?

Is it only the slide along lid holder on the bowl? I've got an EO stamped green kettle I picked up that has the slide along lid holder and ash catcher and was wondering if it is a Mastertouch or just a regular OTG.
Slide Aside is an add-on that can be put on any kettle.
The Master Touch has the "lid bale" like a Performer...it's built in.
MT also had the dual purpose thermometer (housing under top handle) just like the 1st generation Performers.
MT also had the enclosed ash system also like the performers.

So, the MT was like a stand-alone version of the 1st generation Performer.

Slide Aside is an add-on that can be put on any kettle.
The Master Touch has the "lid bale" like a Performer...it's built in.
MT also had the dual purpose thermometer (housing under top handle) just like the 1st generation Performers.
MT also had the enclosed ash system also like the performers.

So, the MT was like a stand-alone version of the 1st generation Performer.

Thanx for the clarification Joe. Much appreciated!

Weber seems to be slowly adding to the OTG what the Mastertouch had. Now they've added the therm they just need to put the Performer lid bale on and be done with it.

Weber seems to be slowly adding to the OTG what the Mastertouch had. Now they've added the therm they just need to put the Performer lid bale on and be done with it.
couldnt agree more. I would love the 22 inch kettle with that lid bail. Listen up , Weber.!

I recommend making your own, much more rewarding! Parts here:http://www.ereplacementparts.com/lid-bale-brackets-with-hardware-p-1477084.html
P1000532_zpsb3c7033b.jpg

OGlenn - that's SWEET. I didn't know the lid bale kit was available from anyone but Weber. I currently don't have any grill that is a candidate for the upgrade but it now makes cheap OTSs from Craigslist more attractive.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I actually was "allowed" to order my lid bale from Weber because I registered a performer with them. Often things are a bit lower in price directly from the mothership, if they let you order the part. Although they don't pop up for sale often near me, if you ever see a rough performer for cheap $, you could also scavenge parts like this from it.

I am considering adding a lid bale to my OTG. To the guys who have used kettles with lid bales for a while now: Do they scratch or mar the paint on the lid?

The ash catcher for the MasterTouch was held in differently than the one for the OTG.

The MT used a crossbar that attached to the center spindle of the cleaning blades, and the ash catcher ring held onto that.
The OTG uses the three tabs to lock in to the leg stubs on the bottom of the bowl.

The MT's cleaning blade spindle setup is discontinued, but the OTG's cleaning blade kit will replace them.
Since the OTG's blades don't support the crossbar mount, you need to get the OTG ash catcher ring too.

Paul - I have seen grills where using the bale has scratched the finish, and others where it hasn't. It depends on the owner. Also, to help you out, lid bale is #63058.

Back