Masterbuilt And Chargriller Gravity Charcoal Grills /Can You Use Full Splits of Hard Wood?

So if the fan should quit than all bets are off?

Nope. The fan merely provides the automatic temp function. Just like an ATC fan.

You can run a gravity feed without a fan just like you can any other grill or smoker. Manually open vents to raise temp; close to reduce temp.

Those who've bought the Old Country GF, have complained about how long it takes to get up to temp. IIRC, up to an hour. Could be other reasons for that such as there's a trick to using a fully lit chimney of charcoal, but low air flow is primary culprit. Those who've put an ATC on the smoker say its greatly improved.

An ATC is not necessary on other's, the ball valve works just fine, just like bottom vents on a WSM. Like the Southern Q Limo Jr or the Assassin 17 . I think most put an ATC on them, however.

But on my MB, I would have to have the fan. Without it , I have no control over what temp it would run at. My plan for no fan, just move the meats over to another smoker. I've not cooked on a Limo Jr or Assassin, but I doubt they have the air flow of the MB. The MB is a cheap build that's leaky, but it has so much air flow , it doesn't matter.

I still see some deals on the MB560. Some people saying they got them for $250 at Home Depot or just by keeping an eye on Brickseek. And one fella at the Smoking Meat forum said he got the MB1050 for half price. I doubt those will pop up now that " grilling season " has begun, whatever that is.

Your girlfriend takes that long? :D Sorry could not resist.
One other thing I don't get............................how do you light the darn things?
<snicker> Well played, sir, well played. :)

Below the firebox on a gravity fed is an ash box. Once I fill the fuel column, I'll put a 50k BTU venturi LP burner in the ash box below the fire grate, and light it off. While that's burning, I'll connect my HeaterMeter. A couple of minutes of burn time is all it takes in general. One of these days, I'm gonna weld up a small stand for the burner, I'm just balancing it on the bottom stud right now.

Something I would absolutely recommend..... if you're looking at buying or building a gravity fed, I consider a removable grate to be completely mandatory. I burn lump, and yes, you WILL get non-burnables. With a removable grate, I can pull the grate and everything above it will drop into the ash box for clean out. I'd hate to have to pull rocks out from the top of the fuel column, that's nearly 4' up.

Mad Scientist barbecue does a comparison cook ........ Old Country Brazos vrs GMG pellet vrs MB560 . Very interesting comments on gravity feeds. The owner of the bbq store says the same thing I've been saying for some time, I'd like to see a quality patio gravity feed, maybe at $1,000 price point. A better build than Masterbuilt, which is an oxymoron.

And he says there's a lot of problems with the MB560 and I agree. I've not had build problems with my 560, but others have had problems with switches, controller, etc.

But he says there's going to be some entrants into the gravity fed market. I'd like to hear him expand on that .

Here's the vid. I like how MS does comparison cooks.

Mad Scientist barbecue does a comparison cook ........ Old Country Brazos vrs GMG pellet vrs MB560 . Very interesting comments on gravity feeds. The owner of the bbq store says the same thing I've been saying for some time, I'd like to see a quality patio gravity feed, maybe at $1,000 price point. A better build than Masterbuilt, which is an oxymoron.

And he says there's a lot of problems with the MB560 and I agree. I've not had build problems with my 560, but others have had problems with switches, controller, etc.

But he says there's going to be some entrants into the gravity fed market. I'd like to hear him expand on that .

Here's the vid. I like how MS does comparison cooks.

It has been said many times. Weber missed the mark and should have come out with a gravity feed instead of the pellet pooper.

Back