Master Touch Premium retrofit onto a Performer Table

Paul Shin

I currently have a Performer which has been a great grill. I have not used my gas grill in years. I’ve entertained the idea of a Kamado Joe or Summit charcoal, but every time I use it, I just can’t justify spending any more money since it does everything so well.

One thing I wouldn’t mind is some of the features on the Master Touch Premium. ie hinged lid, taller kettle, diffuser plate. I have a Slow n Sear which works great but I do have occasions that I’d like more room (guests/family cookouts). The use of diffuser allows the use of the entire grill area.
But what I love about the Performer is the table. It is very useful.

How hard would it be to fit the Master Touch Premium kettle onto the Performer table? Anyone done this already?

I do have a gas starter but I don’t use it much and would rather not bother with retrofitting that part.

Thanks for any input.

Paul,

I have a classic Master Touch and have not done these two mods myself so they are just thoughts. Have you thought about adding an aftermarket hinge to your performer, I know people love the unknown hinge on their WSM's here is the one for the kettle.

https://unknownbbq.com/22-5-weber-kettle-lid-hinge/

Then here is a video of Tom Horsman making a homemade charcoal ring and defuse plate. This is on my spring to do list. I want to do this more and more each day.

Those mods, would cost you some money, but not as much as getting the new Master Touch Premium, but I like that new grill so I understand the desire also.

You could use some brackets from Unknown BBQ to fit it on to a Performer cart. It's just one bracket per side, couple bolts per bracket...then it just drops in like a Performer kettle. You'd have to consider where you want to the hinge, somewhere on the left side.
It's possible you might have to cut off the metal bowl handle to give it enough clearance to fit.

If you search YouTube, there is a video of a guy installing the brackets on a Copper Kettle. Not a Master Touch, but same idea.

Measure twice drill once!

Drilling out the holes for the gas burner isn't too bad. It's just one large hole for the burner tube, then a couple smaller hole above the large hole.
I'd get the brackets on there first, then figure out the gas assist afterwards.

Another option is to just buy a diffuser plate like this one below and the hinge that Michael linked and beef up your existing Performer.

Another option is to just buy a diffuser plate like this one below and the hinge that Michael linked and beef up your existing Performer.
Kyle, I keep looking at this diffuser today and keep thinking about taking the dive. I am extremely slow to move on purchases, but this maybe my next one. The diffuser plus stainless steel grates. It looks like the grates could not be lowered to to the original Weber grade holders so you would lose the lip and the grate would be almost level with the grill (this is one of the biggest complaints of PK Grill owners) but still...

Kyle, I keep looking at this diffuser today and keep thinking about taking the dive. I am extremely slow to move on purchases, but this maybe my next one. The diffuser plus stainless steel grates. It looks like the grates could not be lowered to to the original Weber grade holders so you would lose the lip and the grate would be almost level with the grill (this is one of the biggest complaints of PK Grill owners) but still...

It looks pretty cool. I almost bought a used kettle that came with this Aura zone cooking system. Hadn't even heard of it until I saw the kettle up for sale. Would be very nice to be able to utilize nearly the entire grate when doing a low and slow.
I noticed they have an open box warehouse option for $70 and shipping is free. Not a bad deal when you consider a stainless steel grate is going to run you about that same price.

I do own two of their stainless steel charcoal grates and can say I love them, very well made.

It looks pretty cool. I almost bought a used kettle that came with this Aura zone cooking system. Hadn't even heard of it until I saw the kettle up for sale. Would be very nice to be able to utilize nearly the entire grate when doing a low and slow.
I noticed they have an open box warehouse option for $70 and shipping is free. Not a bad deal when you consider a stainless steel grate is going to run you about that same price.

I do own two of their stainless steel charcoal grates and can say I love them, very well made.
Yeah, I knew you had at least one of their products and been happy with it. I totally didn't see that open box sale, that has me with an even bigger itch...

I can't find anything else like this on the market and for $70, crap, I think I am going to take the dive. You can buy the Weber diffuser plate and charcoal ring in England for 150 pounds, but they don't sell it here separately in the states. Anyways If they do bring it over, which I don't see happening anytime soon, I see a similar price which is double this option right now!

Great ideas. Thank you.
That Kettle Zone product may be the way to go! Not having a hinged lid isn’t a big deal. But an integrated heat deflector system is exactly what I’m looking for.

Hey guys, I recently chatted with the Eric Aura and he was nice enough to make a 15% off coupon code for us!

Hey guys, I recently chatted with the Eric Aura and he was nice enough to make a 15% off coupon code for us!

I got the 15% for this resent order after emailing and talking with Eric. I am even more excited about this product now!

Why not use a few bricks and a roasting pan? I would get 6 bricks and an old roasting pan and put a disposable aluminum pan on top of that.

Get the heat retention of the bricks, the longevity of the roasting pan and the clean up of the disposable pan.

My Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System arrived, I did a post on my Unboxing.

Back