Marty Leach Wooden Handles

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
I just want the traditional handle... as close to original as possible.
Yeah, I inquired about original handles...he doesn't want to repave the existing cow path. He derives fun out of making this unique design and then personalizing each one with the engraving. I guess I understand that.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Troy,if you are even a little handy,you can make your own! I used a table saw to rip the cedar to width,and a router table to cut the grooves and chamfers. Very easy and fun to do!

I'm not even a little handy
icon_frown.gif

My brother makes pool cues though, maybe i'll see if he can make me some handles.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
I just want the traditional handle... as close to original as possible.
Yeah, I inquired about original handles...he doesn't want to repave the existing cow path. He derives fun out of making this unique design and then personalizing each one with the engraving. I guess I understand that.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's understandable, and totally respectable.
Gotta stick to what's fun and what you love! (its my motto)

I'm with you, Troy. I don't claim to be handy, and I think any effort I would make to make my own handles would result in splinters & a trip to the ER.

I am amazed by some people's creativity and fabrication/building skills when it comes to making things that I could use to make my life/hobbies easier, so I'd rather buy something than come back from my efforts missing fingers.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey All,

Just in case anybody was on the fence about getting one of Marty Leach's custom handles, here is a look at one of them. I ordered one from him last week and they are GREAT quality. He even takes requests! My WSM was handed down to me after my wife's Dad passed away last year and he only got to use once, so every time I smoke something we think of him. His name was Jim so of course we named the WSM Big Jim. My wife has his anchor necklace that he used to wear and it means a lot to her so I thought I would ask if Marty could engrave anchors into the handle. He said yes, so I found an image online and sent it to him and here is the end result! I got it in the mail this Saturday and put it on Big Jim this morning and surprised my wife. Needless to say she got teary-eyed and LOVES it....Just thought I would share.

This is how the handle comes packaged, I ordered the walnut handle
BG

BG

BG

BG

Here is the handle installed
BG

BG

I think it turned out AMAZING and is well worth the $25.00 bucks. Marty is a real nice guy too and you can tell he loves his work. Don't hesitate to get one if you are thinking about it!

Have a good rest of the weekend everyone! Gotta get back to Big Jim, I am making another batch of jerky for our Michigan trip next weekend...Cheers!

Very cool, Tom. I saw your handle in production while visiting Marty and heard the backstory on your cooker. Great story, and this makes that cooker even more special. Thanks for sharing these photos.

Regards,
Chris

Tom the handel look's great and i'am sure your wife love's it too.
Twenty five dollar's for a handel of that quailty with laser ingraving is a darn good deal...Just might have to order 1-2 for myself.

Originally posted by james n:
...with laser ingraving...
I thought it was laser engraving, also, but it's not. It's done with a 2D CNC machine that Marty put together from a kit! Very cool.

Regards,
Chris

I am putting mini-WSM kits together for each of my sons for Christmas. We will work on doing the builds together (instead of me giving them completed smokers).
There will be a customized Marty Leach handle in each of the kits.

This isn't the same person, is it? I received some handles from him a couple of years ago and they are very nice. I wish I could recall the name on the return address.

What happend to AMLWoodArt.com by Mary Leach. I can not find him anymore
Does anyone have Marty Leach's email address. I used to have it but lost it?

Marty Leach tells me he is no longer taking on new customers, he says he had too many problems with return orders. He says if you are an existing customer and have his contact info, he will make handles for you, but otherwise not.

Marty Leach tells me he is no longer taking on new customers, he says he had too many problems with return orders. He says if you are an existing customer and have his contact info, he will make handles for you, but otherwise not.
He made me the one set pictured last summer but I lost his email address. If you have his email address would it be possible for you pm it so I can ask.

Here is a pic of my WSM 22 with handles from both people mentioned in this thread, in walnut.

Attachments

• IMG_4283.jpg
    IMG_4283.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 12
I might need some assistance here...

J

Attachments

• 20210704_155628.jpg
    20210704_155628.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210704_155623.jpg
    20210704_155623.jpg