Marinating chicken in fresh lime juice?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Is it OK to marinate chicken in fresh lime juice? Will the acid in the juice "cook" the chicken? About how long can I marinate a whole chicken with the juice and other ingredients?

Dave - I don't know that I would do a straight lime juice - I don't think the acid would "cook" the chicken a la cerviche but I could see that it might change the texture of the bird.

I would use a Mojo marinade that has lime juice, blood orange juice, oil and herbs and spices. I've gone 6 hours in marinade with Mojo and I think it is a miracle marinade for chicken.

Kevin Kruger has a recipe for Mojo floating around here on the forum.

Pat

This marinade has olive oil and jalapenos in it along with a couple of othe things so maybe the oil will temnper it down a little. I was thinking of doing it for maybe an hour.

Dave

An hour is fine. You can even go for a few and I wouldn't worry about it as long as you said there is more than just lime juice. Between RS chicken that has vinegar and THIS marinade that can be left overnight I think you will be fine.

Dave I marinate chicken breast with lime and oil when I'm doing chicken for fajitas usually for 1-2 hours.

Dave,

I will ofetn use lime or lemon juice for only about an hour. Having said that, when I visited my daughter a few years ago, she marinated whole chickens in lemon juice for 8 hours and the birds were great (grilled).

Ray

I ended up marinating it for an hour. It came out great but I think it could have been left in for a much longer time.

Back