Marinaded Pork Loin

B. Kaylor

TVWBB Fan
A friend ask me to smoke a pork loin for him for Thanksgiving. I'll be doing the cook the week before, and will cool, wrap and freeze the meat. I found a Marinade reciepe in Mike Mills' Peace, Love & BBQ that I'll try, but I was wondering: can (used) marinade safely be saved, boiled for 5 minutes, cooled and then added to the meat for re-heating? I know that I have read this somewhere, but cannot recall where. I want to be safe, and if there is a question, I'll just make another batch for re-heating.

Also, any suggestions for the re-heat? Times....Temps...tented or not?? I'm still pretty new to this and have not cooked a loin on the WSM yet.

Thanks to all!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">can (used) marinade safely be saved, boiled for 5 minutes, cooled and then added to the meat for re-heating? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes.

Loins have little fat. They are best cooked to a low internal for finish. And they do not need low/slow to get them there. Reheating (method and implementation) will depend on how you or your friend plan on serving. More details would be needed.

Brad, yes you can boil it but... I just always make new, I'm wierd like that though. If you have a vac sealer, that's your best bet for re-heating IMO. Make sure you don't over cook the loin and allow for carry over heat after removing it off the WSM. You'll get at least 5º prob a little more of carry over heat. I'd pull and wrap tight in foil for about an hr then open up foil drain off drippings and save, then cool loin to room temp. Place loin in fridge, foil still open and let get fridge temp. Slice and add saved drippings to vac bags and seal up. Reheat in hot water for 20-30 min and brush with the marinade, or a nice glaze right before plating. HTH

Thanks Kevin and Bryan!

I know that my friend will be willing to re-heat using the best method. I do think that he was thinking of re-heating in the oven, covered or not? So, if oven method, what would be the best way? But if the sealed/water method would be better, I'm sure that he could do that. They will be serving turkey-n-fixins also, the loin will just an addition.

What temp would you suggest to finish to on the WSM? 150*? And again THANK YOU BOTH!! I have been following this site for over 3 years and have learned so much. It really makes barbecueing so much fun.

Reheating in water is definetely the way to go. Seal it up with some of the juices that are going to be laying around after it cools. Once it is hot again, you can always slap it under the broiler to set a glaze on it. Not much looks prettier than a pork loin with a nice little fat cap after it has been sitting on the WSM thinking about what it has done.

Any chance on cooking it on-site the day of the party? I do them all the time on my kettle with high heat and you can be done in an hour and a half, if not less time depending on the loin size.

Mike, thanks for the reply. I like the idea of re-heating with sealed bags in water then doing the broiler trick. I won't be able to do it the same day, as they want it for Thanksgiving day, and I'll be doing my thing with Mr.Turkey miles away.

Back