Manual mode

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
Friday night, I had to toss close to 40# of pork on, but had no electric to run the Guru. Haven't done the manual mode for an overnighter for a long while. When I had everything settled in, it held great all night. Still nice to know how reliable this thing will cook even after using the Guru so long. And no, I still don't plan on buying the power pack/adapters.
Was at an outing where there was 4 other smokers set up. All Brinkmans around my WSM. Boneless chicken thighs/breast, Turkey, Venison sausage (hot and regular), venison burgers, pork loins done several ways, Chicken wings done several ways, Leg of Lamb (first time I tasted that), Brisket, and I'm sure that I left other items out. Oh yea, fresh shucked (sp??) oyster! If you went away hungry, it was YOUR fault.
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a veritable feast! And, no, you don't need that Guru. They're nice toys, but these lil' ol' WSMs still cook great without 'em.

It's an obsession, but I'm still of the mind that I don't want to have to have electricity hooked up to anything to do with the cookers. Just our own 'druthers. We cook too often at places with no power, plus the fact that a 3-hour power outage can blow a turn-in to smithereens if you're depending on electricity on a cooker.

"Guru? We don' need no steenkin' Guru!"
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif

Leg of lamb on the Brinkman, huh? I've never tasted smoked lamb. How was it? I'm contemplating my first attempt at cabrito here pretty soon, myself.

Keri C

I've been disappointed with my Guru. I think I make as many adjustments with it as without it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm contemplating my first attempt at cabrito here pretty soon, myself.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did a goat shoulder a few weeks ago, used one of Paul Kirks recipes...it was great. You can also do it just like a pork butt and it will pull just like a butt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich Emkey:
I've been disappointed with my Guru. I think I make as many adjustments with it as without it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Something's not right then. Both of mine are rock solid.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Manual mode while Q'ing is sort of like shifting your own gears while driving, or using a manual camera to take pictures. It sort of make you feel like your are really doing something the right way, not computer controlled. No Guru required here either.

Keri:
The smoked lamb was pretty good, but I don't think it's anything I would do myself. More of a mental thing than anything. Just something about a Lamb that, well, hard to explain lol.

Rich: I never have to make adjustments to the Guru. Top vent 1/3 open, damper on Guru around 3/4, and it's cruise mode.

I'm into the WSM for the results, not the art of getting there. If that were the case, I'd have a stick burner. Does anyone need the Guru? No, but I sleep better on them cold nights knowing that it was a set it/forget it mode.

I posted a few questions a couple of weeks ago about the poor performance of my Guru. Frankly I was convinced it was my inexperience, but after talking to the guru.com people they suggested I send it in for calibration, which I did. They sent it back with no feedback a week later. Checked it out this past weekend with an attempt at low (190) brined salmon. I had to set it at 175 to get the fan to cut off when my Mav said I was at 200 (its been checked too). Kept having to adjust the damper on the guru and clamp down on the top vent to keep it from running away. Such is life, I'm thinking about asking for my money back and maybe trying a stoker ( or maybe becoming a purist
icon_smile.gif

Rich, Are you using water? Also are you using the minion method? I find the minion the best way to control my temps because I only start 10-12 coals. I also use no water only a few crumpled foil balls. I keep my pit probe clipped on the end of my meat probe on the top rack always. I also always close the bottom damper to 1/4 to 1/3 open when i reach the temp I need and never adjust during the cook. The top vent is usually the same. Works for me this way??? Do you have the 5 or 10 fan?

Tim
Actually I have a 4 CFM fan. I have quit using water in the pan, and I do use the Minion method. I haven't tried the pit probe clipped to the end of the meat probe or the foil balls, but will try them tommorrow. Seems like your closing the damper more than I have, so I'll also try that idea. I'm trying a 225-250 cook tommorrow and hopefully these new ideas may help. Thanks for your suggestions, I haven't given up yet but am certainly frustrated
icon_confused.gif

Back