Manifold maintenance question

KennP

I was trying to return a Genesis 1000 manifold to active duty this weekend, since I am in need of a grill after having lent my top cooker to a new neighbor who doesn't have his utilities connected yet. The manifold had been lying inside a grill over the winter without a hose connected to it. So as I examined it, I noticed that there was some straw and grass inside the manifold tube. I didn't know what to think, but now I'm guessing a mouse was maybe living in it.

I removed all the grass and straw I could see with some needlenosed pliers, shook it, nothing more was coming out, and when I thought I had it all out, I attached a new hose to the manifold. The grill started right away, but the second and third burners would not light. Do you think, as I do, there is more straw in the manifold blocking gas to the second and third burners? Is there a way to clean the manifold's insides? Should I just toss it and not take any chances with this?

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good question for Larry! It sounds to me, at least, that it is blocked up. I would like to see what Larry says. Maybe you would have to remove the valves to totally clean the manifold. Then clean and lubricate the valves while you are at it. See the video Chris and Larry worked together to create.

I dont see how a " mouse" could get inside a manifold. If the hose was removed, that hole would only be about the size of a pencil. I dont know how you could really get a pair of needle nose pliers in that hole.

What I would like to know is that after you start the grill, do you see any flames move along the cross over tube to the other two tubes? Can you smell unburned gas inside the cook box

Hole is size of a fat pencil. I can't think of what besides a mouse it would be! It wasn't stuffed with straw and grass, just a few fibers, but who knows what's up inside it. The pliers fit, but I could only open them a tiny bit. I was not allowed to use the family tweezers!

I did not see any flames move along the cross over tube to the other tubes. And I did not smell unburned gas inside the cook box. But also, I did not want to run the grill very long with the burners not lighting properly. Wouldn't the fire run along the cross over tube only if the center or back tube was getting gas?

The gas should run from the front burner which you said is burning, through the crossover tube to both of the other tubes. Once you turn on those two tubes, they should then both light. But, if gas is not moving along the crossover tube, they will not light. It sounds like the cross over tube is clogged.

Here is a video explaining the function of the crossover tube. You should be able to remove it and look through it to see if it is clogged. Otherwise, it just probably needs the gas holes cleaned out. The two clips are reversed on the video, but you will get the gist.

Odds are some kind of wasps. Once something like that has gotten in there, I don't know what could get them out or the debris. I found the same thing one year on a garden hose I left the ends open on. Yellow Jackets decided they had shelter, water and decided it was a good place to build condos

Last resort is to replace the manifold if it is determined the problem is not the crossover tube.

Back