Man - I Love My WSM!

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
Loving this thing. So easy to dial in 240-270d.

Here is what I have been doing.

1) Place 1-3 wood chunks on the charcoal grate towards the side, but not quite touching the ring.

2) Dump coals in to almost fill the OEM ring.

3) Push coals aside in the center to make a little v-shaped hole down to the grate (MINION METHOD).

4) Dump a half full chimney of burning briquettes in the middle.

5) Add center and top with ALL VENTS OPEN and probe on top grate (and middle if using both grates).

6) Wait until temp reaches 200d.

7) Close back 2 vents on bottom 3/4 of the way, leaving vent at bottom opposite vent on top open all the way.

8) Wait until temp reaches 250d.

9) Fully close back 2 vents on bottom.

10) Re-open back 2 vents on bottom a crack if temp drops below 225d.

So far this has worked every time - 5 cooks now.

Thoughts?

I do much the same. Works every time.

One thing I do slightly different is to put a wood chunk on the grate in the middle. So you start generating some smoke right from when the lit goes in. As part of that thinking, I also put a chunk in the chimney.

I also try to get the temp stabilized so the cooker will run steady with just one bottom vent open. As the cook progresses, I then open up vent #2 as needed, and then #3 eventually. I find it easier to adjust one vent at a time rather than fiddling with all three at various increments.

I do much the same. Works every time.

One thing I do slightly different is to put a wood chunk on the grate in the middle. So you start generating some smoke right from when the lit goes in. As part of that thinking, I also put a chunk in the chimney.

I also try to get the temp stabilized so the cooker will run steady with just one bottom vent open. As the cook progresses, I then open up vent #2 as needed, and then #3 eventually. I find it easier to adjust one vent at a time rather than fiddling with all three at various increments.
I do the same and for long and slow i will normally just crack 1 of the 3 bottom vents to about 1/8" open. For shoulders I usually go 250 for 4 hours and put the smoke on it then open up the vents and crank it up to get better fat rendering at the tail end of the cook.

Back