"making" your own smoke wood

Greg W

Are there general practices that should be followed for making your own smoke wood?

I know which woods to use and not to use, but does it need to be dried before using it? If so, what's the best practice?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg W:
but does it need to be dried before using it? If so, what's the best practice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, most woods need to be dried some before using. IMO Apple is the exception. I often use green apple wood for smoking. If you have green/fresh cut wood, the smaller you break it down the faster you can use it. Say you have 6" diam 18" long logs and cut then into 3" long rounds. Then split the rounds into the size chunks you like to use. say 1.5" X 1.5" X 3" or 2" X 2" X 3" chunks. When doing this, the wood dries really fast and can be used after just a month of drying. HTH

Yup, I do just what Bryan notes. I haven't tried green wood though, I always let it season and dry out good and it does just that if you are in a hurry by cutting it up. And it doesn't take much. 4 or 5 smallish logs of oak gave me a 25lbs box filled with chunks. I tell ya, I still want to start up a smoke wood selling business. Man the markup!!

Here's a do-not. Do not try to cut the last remaining 4" of log into 2-2" slices with a miter saw. I wanted that last cut so bad, chickened out at the last second holding it (since the blade was coming down within 2" of my holding fingers), saw hit it and snapped it right up into the laser sight on my saw smashing it to pieces. All fingers still intact though
icon_smile.gif
First thing the wife says...I use that laser sight all the time!!!

Todd

I just used the chainsaw to cut some applwe and mulberry into 3 in lenghts and a hatchet to split those rounds into useable sizes.

I've never used mulberry for smokewood. It seemed like a good bet. Has anyone got any opinion or experience with mulberry for smoke wood?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Here's a do-not. Do not try to cut the last remaining 4" of log into 2-2" slices with a miter saw. I wanted that last cut so bad, chickened out at the last second holding it (since the blade was coming down within 2" of my holding fingers), saw hit it and snapped it right up into the laser sight on my saw smashing it to pieces. All fingers still intact though
icon_smile.gif
First thing the wife says...I use that laser sight all the time!!!

Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm so glad I'm not the only idiot who has done this!! haha My wife was giving me grief about using the miter saw..."You're going to hurt yourself.... at least put on safety glasses"! Bah... I'm a man... I've cut a million small pieces of wood.... SNAP!!! One chunk lodges between the blade and the housing jamming it up.. the other piece bounces off my shoulder!!

Memo to self: sometimes my wife IS actually right!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill_W:
I've never used mulberry for smokewood. It seemed like a good bet. Has anyone got any opinion or experience with mulberry for smoke wood? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, It's a good wood to use for smoke wood. It's a mild wood like all the other fruit woods. Never used mulberry wood, just pellets. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm so glad I'm not the only idiot who has done this!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope you are not, and glad you posted because I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one too!
icon_smile.gif
I had to change blades afterward it was so jammed up in there I buggered up that bladed pretty bad just getting if off and unwedged, lol.

Todd

This is a very timely message as we had 2 cherry trees cut down this summer and I want to chunk up a bunch of the wood. Question, though. What about the bark? Do i strip it off before using it in the WSM?

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What about the bark? Do i strip it off before using it in the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of another. I find people split down the middle about that. Some think it adds to the soot possibility. Indeed if it's a flakey kind of bark, I suppose it could get all over the food.

I never took the bark off as I cut up the wood (unless it fell off easily), because I found it easier to take a hatchet and carefully whack and slice it off before putting it into the wsm.

Recently I have been tossing in apple wood with full bark on.

Todd

what i do is if there is deadfall or limbs i trimmed i cut it up into logs about 18" and let them sit for at least a year in a pile in the back yard. rain has nothing to do with wood "drying" for cooking purposes. longer is better with 2 years before use being ideal for fresh green wood curing.

when i get ready to use a log i cut a disc off about 3 inches in width then split the disc down to fist sized chunks. the splitting proccess normall removes any bark. perosnally i dont like bark as it is full of odd things like bugs and fungus at times. i use almost oak exclusively and oak often harbors extra things. dunno bugs in my cooker burning and adding their "flavours" just strikes me as wrong.

I have used cherry and maple green with good results.

Last year I was cutting up some wood on the miter box. It had been quite a while since I had cut up any wood and found myself letting off the power switch a little early. I got down to the last cut or 2 of the log and I left off the power too early. The blade grabbed the wood and guess where dummy has his finger. Thats right in the corner of the fence between the log. My finger hurt so bad that the next 2 hurt and they weren't involved. I ended up losing the nail and it took several month for the new one to come in. I cut some up last weekend. I find I am still a bit gun shy. I had made the comment last year I could tell the blade was getting dull. Believe me if you can say that buy or sharpen the blade.

I dry hardwood lumber for a living. A trick we use when you only need a little wood dried. Cut your little blocks, put the in a microwave turntable on low, must be on low. Run for couple min and let it rest for a couple of min. Do this 3 or 4 times the wood will be dry. In 15 min you can take a dead green piece to dry. Never do this without putting microwave on low, the wood will start to smoke, then the wife will start to smoke.

Greg W:
I have never used mulberry wood to smoke with. But in years past burnt a lot of it in a wood heating stove. My experience was if burnt green the wood gives off a lot of creosote and a hint of a bitter smell. Burnt dry is goes like gas. My feelings are there are better woods to use. However, there are probably others who have had different experiences and it will be interesting to hear from them.

kind of like don. my fireplace leaves things you wouldn't believe on the glass front when burned green. I would never recommend that to anyone that asked me, but there may be something to prevent that... uh.. somehow that I don't know about. but this is just my opinion not to burn green wood.

I have ample supply of Cherry some apple and hickory. I have it stacked out back Some cherry was down for 8 months before it was cut up and some was down for less than 4 months.

What I have been doing as of late is taking some of the older wood and peeling off layers and using that to smoke with.

I need to chunk it up but haven't got around to it yet, the peel method actualy has worked well you just have to accumilate a fistfull before tossing it in the WSM.

Apple, I am using the limbs bark and all right now. I collected a bag full of the saw chips from the apple and I use that also.

I try not to overdo the smoke wood, that can get to be pretty rank, if I error on the wood I want it to be on the to little side.

Joe

Back