Making your own Rub versus Purchasing

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I know this topic has been covered before but thought I would get some new opinions. Do you all like to make your own rub or buy it? My thinking is that there are about a bazillion recipes out there and it seems like it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to make your own rather than buy. Especially for me as I tend to use a lot on my butts. That being said, I have seen people on this site and other rave about commercial rubs such as Byron's Butt Rub or Dizzy Pig.

Thoughts?

Bob

I use ALOT of Texas BBQ Rub. I buy it in 50 lb lots. It is a great product for brisket and pork. I also like Wolfe rub. I sometimes make my own Wild Willies Rub from the Smoke and Spice book, but I make it in very large batches. I like it on butts.

Personally I only make my rubs, I havaen't bought one in years. For me it has nothing to do with the quality of the commercial rubs or the price. If I make my own though I can get the exact results I'm looking for and feeling at that time. I do keep about 100 spices on hand though to try to cover the full spectrum of tastes.

Clark

My sentiments exactly.

I've never bought one but people send me samples to clone or try for one reason or another, from time to time, so I've tried a few. Never found any that were remarkable though there probably are some out there.

I usually base the rub on the meat and, importantly, the sides and sauce(s). I almost never make the same rub twice.

I use the store bought (and internet) stuff. I've tried to make a few on my own, but it was just a bit more envolved than I what I was looking for.

I'm a Dizzy Pig user. It got to the point where spices were just stuffed into the cabinet. A lot of the recipes I’ve found and used just didn't wow me. So why not just buy DP. Tastes great and it’s a lot easier. Head Country is pretty good also.

Admittedly, I do experiment. To me this is one of the pleasures of cooking...grilling...smoking...learning to control the result.

Robert, I would suggest that for someone starting to develop his or her own rub, start with as few ingredients as possible. Add as you go. You may find for example that a little cinnamon adds some complexity...another spice another flavor and so on. After a few years, I still find ways to tweak good recipes. They can be as simple or complex as you please but the main point is they can be what you want.

I like both. I am really fond of a couple rubs that I purchase that I cant seem to make quite as good. On the other hand, I like to experiment w/ making my own as well. It takes time to balance out the spices to perfection(to your taste of perfection, everyones taste buds are different) In all honesty...sometimes Im just to lazy. I have a cabinet full of various rubs...that I have bought and some that I have made. The more the better.

I'm jsut really lucky haveing the spice house right here in town open 7 days a week. So when I need soemthing I can get it. Still i enjoy trying some of the commercial rubs but usually feel I get better results making my own. I do think that the freshness factor of ordering or gooing down and buying and mixing fresh rubs has a signifigant impact on results.

i used to always make my own and still do occasionally, but a friend turned me on to dizzy pigs stuff and i love the dizzy dust,swamp venom and especially the raging river and cowlick. he also talked me into trying john henry's pecan rub which i think is awesome on butts and ribs.

I, like others, make my own rubs and sauces.... I'm like a mad scientist in the kitchen!
icon_biggrin.gif

Making a rub, to me, is just as much part of the BBQ'ing experience as lighting the fire. I may not be great at either selecting spices or lighting my fire, but I enjoy what I'm doing and I'm eating pretty good.
icon_biggrin.gif

Let me say, that 98% of the BBQ I cook, is catered meals. The LAST thing I have time to do is make rub. That being said, I DO make my own sauce, but that is largely because it is WAY cheaper, and I don't find any I would want to use available in bulk. The makers of the rubs I mentioned, are willing to work with me on bulk packaging and shipping, and I don't really believe I could come up with anything "better" on my own anyway! I tried concocting some rubs early on and quickly became bored with that process! I can see how it would be of more interest if I was only cooking for friends and family. I do like making my own chili powder!

Thanks for the opinions. In the year I have had my WSM, I have always made my own and been happy with the results. Just wanted to see if I was missing out on anything. What I need to do is do a little taste test of my own. Just what I needed. More reason to barbecue.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks again,

Bob

Back