Making new, shorter legs for Kettle grill

Nice job. Be careful with the lid like that though. With the short legs, it doesn’t take much to tip/overbalance (speaking from experience).

Thanks chaps.
I do have a plan if tipping proves to be a problem. I’ll make some wider wooden flat feet to spread the load. Looking back at my picture if the lid was hung directly behind a leg stability might be improved.
I might have said that it is not likely to be christened until New Year’s Eve.
I’ll let you all know how I get on.

Well the grill worked a treat on New Year’s Eve. The missus loved it, phew. Nothing fancy just bangers (sausages). Having it low down made the evening for just us 5 very sociable and even after the cooking was done the warmth from the coals kept as warm for many hours.
I’d never heard of a chimney started before. I was glad I bought one. What a revelation. So much easier to get the coals hot.
B9612CE7-8739-4E2C-8FB3-522E7EA0ECA6.jpeg

It looks to me like you have that pretty well sorted out! Yes, the coal grate should sit on the brackets, I think that’s where you have them, nice job!
At some point you might consider a “Vortex”, there is no better accessory for super crisp wings as well as a few other delights.
Really, the chimney is such a great investment, you will never regret this project!

I’d never heard of a chimney started before.

For ages I used to ignite coals in the chimney with solid ignitor cubes. Then I watched this video and I'm happy to have done away forever with their heavy chemical stench. The video is way too long for what it teaches but the method is surefire:

Brown paper grocery bag seems to be just about right for me, tear it flat and ball it up fairly loosely, so, it can breathe. If you ball it up too tightly it will not fully ignite and just be irritating!

I've found that I can stuff 8-10 rings made from newspaper pages around the bottom of the Webber chimney, still leaving a hole in the center. I just light it once with a match and it's done.

I stopped getting the paper, it was expensive for chimney lighting, but that and ”fish wrap” was about all it was good for.

Thanks guys.
I did use the weber starter blocks and briquettes which both came with the chimney. I will not be using either again. They worked well but I prefer to cook au naturel and source local if possible. My daughters school dishes out free newspapers every day so I have a ready supply. I also burn seasoned hardwoods in a wood burner in the house and not infrequently find large lumps of charcoal in the wood burner. I will be setting these aside in future and supplementing with shop bought charcoal.

Weather in Normandy is not conducive to outdoor living so cooking el fresco is reserved for high days and holidays although now I have some decent kit these may be more frequent.

Bonne année and a happy new year to you all.

Cheers
Andy

Back