Major boo-boo with new Q2000

"It’s okay guys, sorted the assembly… just couldn’t work out why there was a ‘spare hole under the ceramic ignitor.

There may be a technical reason for it but to me it’s a ‘spare hole’ & no need to fill it with something!"

I looked at mine and it could be for using a match if your ignitor goes wonky.
I'll check my manual.

Edit: Yep, it's for a match.

Last edited:
Yep… I spray painted the cookbox - sounds odd I know.

The chemical cleaning process took the inside (plastic splattered part section only) of the cookbox back to bare metal - didn’t look that great TBH!

I’ve built up 5 layers of heatproof spray paint on the inside of the cookbox.

This probably something that Weber do to protect their bare cast aluminium chassis components…?

It’s 650 deg paint & it has been well cured!

I’ll send a pic of the stuff I used… see what you think?

Apparently it’s good for BBQ’s… got the Q up-to 600 & all good!

BUT… there is a small amount of vaporised plastic residue on the inner shell of the lid - I don’t think it’s anything major & I hope it’ll burn off without any chemical dipping.

Thanks again!

Darren F1D496B1-D492-4A73-9CAB-21FFE4D05562.jpeg

I looked at mine and it could be for using a match if your ignitor goes wonky.
I'll check my manual.

Edit: Yep, it's for a match.

That’s brilliant Tim… I would’ve NEVER have thought of that! 👏👏👍

Bare aluminum is good. Painted aluminum is bad. While the paint might hold up to the heat inside the cook box, it may not be designed to be "food safe". Which means it will not give off toxic fumes when heated. While Weber may have some overspray inside their cook boxes, it is proven and tested to be safe to use inside cook boxes and it is definitely not the same stuff we use in rattle cans. It is more like a powder coating.

Yep… I spray painted the cookbox - sounds odd I know.

The chemical cleaning process took the inside (plastic splattered part section only) of the cookbox back to bare metal - didn’t look that great TBH!

I’ve built up 5 layers of heatproof spray paint on the inside of the cookbox.

This probably something that Weber do to protect their bare cast aluminium chassis components…?

It’s 650 deg paint & it has been well cured!

I’ll send a pic of the stuff I used… see what you think?

Apparently it’s good for BBQ’s… got the Q up-to 600 & all good!

BUT… there is a small amount of vaporised plastic residue on the inner shell of the lid - I don’t think it’s anything major & I hope it’ll burn off without any chemical dipping.

Thanks again!

Darren View attachment 54379
That paint is fine for the outside, i don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone paint the inside. Not a good idea!

You lot are brilliant!

I’ll drop the manufacturer an email - maybe the “BBQ” just refers to any external surfaces?

Great advice guys, if it ain’t safe I’ll remove the fresh paint & the original Weber costing with some thinners & leave the inner cookbox “Au Natural”

I’ll keep you posted with this if OK - apologies if it’s becoming boring! 😀😀

Darren.

Scrap it and get another. It is not worth getting sick or the long term effects of that chemical exposure. Take care of yourself:)

Jason,

I’d rather just strip the inside of the cook box with thinners (if needed) than scrap the whole thing & buy a brand new Q.

We maybe singing off different hymn sheets my friend!

I’m a ‘mend & make do’ kinda guy - BUT… I don’t always get it right!

Every day is a school day, I’m always big enough to admit this 😆

Thank you for taking the time to reply Jason, very much appreciated.

Darren.

Back